Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post 4: I have an idea – part 2

Create a new layer called “Land Clip”, filled with white above that, and set its blend mode to Lighten. You will have a white image. Now, with this layer selected, Open the levels dialog (Colors->Levels) and grab the white output slider, and drag it down. As this happens, the land will be revealed. Stop at a place you like, and click OK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post4-1.png 
Views:	8079 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	1429

Now using the Magic Wand Tool, (making sure Sample Merged is Checked and the Threshold is 0) click anywhere in the dark area. This will define your coast. If you want to adjust it, just undo the selection (ctrl-Z) and change the levels of the “Land Clip” layer. I wand back and tightened the coast a bit.

Name:	Post4-2.png 
Views:	6290 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	1430

Now Invert the selection (Select->Invert), create a new black layer called “Land Mask” and fill the selection with white. Now save the selection to a Channel (Select->Save to Channel) and rename the channel to “Land Mask”. This will be used a fit bit later.

Name:	Post4-3.png 
Views:	5349 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	1431

Now clear the selection (Select->None).

That technique (the Three-Layer-Sandwich of noise, shape and threshold clip layer, or TLS for short ) will be a basic technique that will be used over and over again, using different blending modes between the noise layer (to give some variegation to the surface) and the shape definition layer. It will be used to define forests and mountains, even clouds in the sky.

This is probably a good time to save. Always save your work as an .xcf file. That is the native GIMP format and will preserve all the image information, including layers, channels, etc. It is similar in that way to the Photoshop native .psd format.

Post 5: Detour - Then Let’s Begin (But I have No Idea!)

If you have no idea for a map, here are a couple of options to generate a more random map…Just use a noise layer (set to smaller size, but keep the detail) This will five a variety of island shapes. Or use a gradient fill for the original shape definition layer. Or blurry geometric shapes (circles, arcs) Each of these will give different results. Here are 4 examples (from top left, clockwise: 50%grey, linear gradient at an angle, radial gradient, arc shape, blurred) all made following the TLS technique:

Name:	Post5-1.png 
Views:	1460 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1432

And blended with the noise layer and a clip layer (lighten) applied:

Name:	Post5-2.png 
Views:	1164 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	1433

The selected, solid mask:

Name:	Post5-3.png 
Views:	1236 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	1434

And converted to an outline:

Name:	Post5-4.png 
Views:	1530 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	1435

You may now see some similarities in this technique to the “Creating Random Coastlines in GIMP” and “Creating Not-So Random Coastlines in GIMP” tutorials I had posted a while ago.

Post 6: Create the sea. (in the beginning...)

To make the ocean/water (and the base contour for the land as well) a two layer variant of the three layer sandwich will be used.
    Copy the “Land Mask” Layer, and rename it “Sea Shape”. Apply a Gaussian Blur (Filter->Blue->Gaussian Blur) large enough to eliminate the absolute black and whites of the image. In this case, I used the same size as the image (500px).

Name:	Post6-1.png 
Views:	3704 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	1436

Create a new layer and call it “Sea Noise” Fill this with Clouds (Filters->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) set to a low size (3) and detail of 15, reseeding the random number. Set the layer blend mode to mode to Overlay, then merge it down with the “Sea Shape” layer by right clicking on the layer and selecting “Merge Down”.

Name:	Post6-2.png 
Views:	2461 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	1437

Duplicate this layer and rename it “Sea”. Add a layer mask by right clicking on the “Sea” layer, and selecting “Add Layer Mask”. When the dialog opens, select “Channel” (By default it should have the “Land Mask” channel shown and check “Invert”. Click Add.

Name:	Post6-3.png 
Views:	2199 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	1438

Nothing much will appear to have happened, but there will be a mask next to the layer thumbnail:
    Name:  Post6-4.png
Views: 141909
Size:  14.5 KB

Layer masks act like filters that let parts of the image “show though”. Areas where the mask is white will allow the layer to be visible. Areas where the mask is black will be transparent, and the various shades of grey will be varying degrees of transparency. Now right click on the “Sea” layer and select “Apply Layer Mask”. This will remove pieces of the layer based on what was showing through the layer mask. Here I have made all the other layers invisible to see the result:

Name:	Post6-5.png 
Views:	2770 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	1440

Also, check out the histogram….that is where we start next.

Post 7: Create the sea, continued.

Now we want to stretch out the colours in the “Sea” layer across the entire black to white range. With the sea layer selected, auto normalize the image (Colors->Auto->Normalize). The histogram will now have little gaps in it. As the greys have all been spread out. To fix this, select the non-transparent area (by clicking on the “Sea” layer and selecting “Alpha to Selection”. Invert the selection (Select->Invert) and fill the area with white. Remove the selection (Select->None) and apply a 20px Gaussian blur.

Name:	Post7-1.png 
Views:	3549 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	1441

Note the histogram is now filled in.

Now the next bit of magic. Set the foreground colour to the darkest water colour (water 5) by clicking on it in the Palette Editor (that we set up at the beginning), and set the background colour to the second lightest water color (water 5) by Ctrl-clicking on it.

Name:	Post7-2.png 
Views:	2355 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	1442

Now we will turn the B/W into colour, by clicking Color->Map->Gradient Map, and the water is almost (for now).

Name:	Post7-3.png 
Views:	2554 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	1443

Recently, I came up with a nice technique (in my opinion) to finish the shoreline water. Often people will stroke the shoreline with a light colour, or add a light blur. Here is a quick technique for making a unique look…

Create a new layer called “Seashore”, and fill it with the really light water colour (Water 1). Add a layer mask, using the “Land Mask” channel, and ensure “Invert” is unchecked.

(Any edits you do now will be on the mask shape, unless the layer thumbnail is clicked. The one you are editing will have a white box:

Name:	Post7-4.png 
Views:	1151 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	1444

Give the layer mask a 10 px Gaussian blur.

Now apply a displacement map (Filters->Map->Displace). Use an X displacement of 20, and a Y displacement of -20. For both, pick the “Land Noise” layer. Set the Displacement Mode to Cartesian and the Edge Behavior to Smear.

Repeat this, flipping the signs, so set X to -20 and Y to 20. This screen grab is after the first one.

Name:	Post7-5.png 
Views:	4318 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	1445

This will give a nice wispy, random looking water edge, once the land is put in place…

(And now for a commercial message...)

I'm pausing here. I'll try to get more up shortly...

Attached is a pdf (5MB) of the process up to this point.

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map - Part 1.pdf  

Post 8:Let there be Land.

Now that the ocean is completed, the land can be build up. Create a cop of the “Sea Shape” layer and name it “Grass”. Create a layer mask using the “Land Mask”channel. Click on the layer icon so we now edit the layer, not the mask.

Name:	Post8-1.png 
Views:	5190 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	1456

Ctrl-Click on the dark green (Ditch) colour to make it the background and click on the light green (high ground) to make it the foreground colours, then Colour->Map->Gradient Map.

Name:	Post8-2.png 
Views:	4072 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	1457

This is bland, so lets spice it up a bit…create a new layer called Grass Texture, and fill it with clouds noise (Filters->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise), detail 15, size 3, and new seed.
    Again, add a layer mask using the “Land Mask” channel, and set the blend mode of the layer to overlay.

Name:	Post8-3.png 
Views:	3481 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	1458

Looking better, but it could use some texture.
    Create a new layer called “Grass Bump Map”. Fill it with rendered cloud noise again, this time setting the size and detail to the max, and selecting Turbulent.

Name:	Post8-4.png 
Views:	1451 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1459

Hide this new layer (by clicking off the eye icon). Create a new layer called “Grass Bumps” and fill it with 50% grey. Set its layer mode to overlay. It will appear to be gone now. That is how overlay works. 50% grey doesn’t change the underlying image, while darker shades darken the image and lighter shades lighten the image.
    Now apply a bump map to this “Grass Bumps” layer using Filters->Map->Bump Map.

Name:	Post8-5.png 
Views:	5888 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	1460

Lastly, apply the “Land Mask” channel as a layer mask like before.

Post 9:Finishing the Land.

After the bump map we now have this. You can adjust the opacity of the bump map to make it less noticeable if desired:

Name:	Post9-1.png 
Views:	2565 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	1461

This is OK, but it is a little two green for me. One option is to change the overall colour by adjusting the hue, and that would be that. Instead, we’ll add a dirt layer. This will be a combination of a filter generated mask layer, and hand painting the mask.

Create a new layer called “Dirt” and fill it with the “med dirt” colour. Add some noise (Filters->Noise->HSV Noise):

Name:	Post9-2.png 
Views:	4412 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	1462

Now bump map this layer on itself to give a bit of lighting texture:

Name:	Post9-3.png 
Views:	3286 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1463

Duplicate the “Land Mask” layer, bring it up to the top of the layer stack.

Name:	Post9-4.png 
Views:	1242 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	1464

and blur it by 50px or so:

Name:	Post9-5.png 
Views:	543 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1465
    Last edited by RobA; 10-31-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Thanks matrixm!

And here is a pdf of everything in Part 2 (up to this point)...

I haven't written the rest (yet), but plan to continue with part 3:

It should finish up the map and include:
    -Cities/towns
    -Roads/trails
    -Labels
    -Legend/scale/compass rose
    -Border

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map - Part 2.pdf  
    Last edited by RobA; 11-27-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Er... I opened the ZIP file and extracted it to the (newly created) palette folder.

EDIT: Didn't notice the other guy's post. I got it now.
    Last edited by megabyter5; 06-19-2008 at 05:37 PM.

I have to say I just started using gimp and did what me and my friends thought was a pretty decent map...but I just have to say, "Whoa". This is freakin' saweet tutorial and I'm actually redoin' the map so I can make it the way I wanted to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast