So many languages... I felt I could spend a week analysing which to use but ultimately a friend reckoned Python was worth a shot.
The job I need the Python code to do is basically very simple, in theory. I need to be able to load a height_field image but not necessarily modify it, just have it as the background. Then I need to be able to plot points, Nodes, in just the x-z plane (y is up). These need to have default automatic "name idents" with the option to assign your own. Then I need to be able to connect such nodes in pairs, and assign some other variables for each connection. Lastly I need to be able to define triplets and other parameters for those.
The program holds and displays all that data - with possible nice extras like filters and colour coding and so on and ultimately be able to save that data in its own format and also export as pre-defined text strings into a POVRay text file. There's no rendering up to this point, just a few numbers and text strings.

As for the rendering - that's where the second phase comes in and I fire up povray, and run the exported pov file from the Python program.
However, unlike in the Competition, I've been careful to try and keep the render time down. The Nexus took ages on one or two of the renders because of the light beams, which are not needed here. The current textured view of "Bendford" takes about 10 minutes, less if you only want to check layouts using the low detail setting (the yellow and red building versions you can see on the website).

Anyway, it's a challenge, but not enough that I would say "no" to anyone wanting to take it over - in any language!