Thread: Artists being ripped off

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

His general practices of preying on young, ignorant, unpublished artists keeping them in the dark, requiring overly tight deadlines then penalizing harshly for any discrepancy to avoid paying them is abominable. However, many of his contract procedures are standard in the industry. And these artists are signing the contract, so dooming themselves to his dishonorable agreement.

As I develop publications, and hire artists, I require a NDA, a contract based on a pre-agreed cost for such services. I ask those artists whose work fits my requirements what do they expect to get paid - and decide if it fits my budget and my experience what a given type of art (cover design, interior art, b/w or color) should be paid. I don't pay anything up front - most artists don't ask me for that, nor do I volunteer that. Often the 'final' is presented in a slightly smaller format with a watermark placed by artist, and the final is sent after I pay them.

I am on an extremely tight budget, and I generally only hire professionals - not top industry pros, but experienced artists who have publication works in their portfolio, and are willing to work within my needs.

From that blog page...
    Some of the responders expect 50% up front, and for a top industry pro having never done business with me before, I understand, but I don't hire them, as this is not something I can agree to - however, I point these artists to the emails/DA pages of the artists I already work with so they can ask for my reliability in paying. Some of the complaints regard what if your game becomes successful, they expect a share of profits. If its not in the contract I won't do this, and if they ask I'll probably seek a new artist. These are contract pay for hire, not partners - I treat my artists with respect and pay them on time, and rely on their contributions, but I don't split profits arbitrarily, just because a given publication proves to be more successful.

If some nuance, anything extra is desired by the artist it needs to be stipulated in the contract. I won't give a bonus to artwork beyond the contract - and artist's don't expect that, at least not those I've been working with thus far. Now on the next job, I'd be expected to pay more. If I felt their art helped bring success to my product, I won't abandon them for being too costly - I will be the increased wages for the given work.

All stipulations, rights, for both parties need to be addressed in the contract. If its not there, it cannot be complied and should not be expected.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations