I don't think you sound callous - I agree. The dev who shops for the lowest price he can find for the quality he requires is only doing what every other business in the world does. I think the issue here is more that people just don't know what to charge for something that comes more or less naturally to them. I love drawing but to be honest I've made a lot more money digging ditches. Not that I'm doing that right now but over the course of my lifetime I have dug a few. Anyway, I think the point is that there are a ton of self taught artists who have the knack and coordination to produce good art but don't know what to charge. Because it's easy for them and because they enjoy it so much they give themselves away.

I think it's just hard to put a price tag on your own art. That doesn't mean someone else can do what you do. No two artists are exactly alike, otherwise forgers would never get caught.

After reading the original post I don't know what to make of it all other than to be aware that you tend to undervalue your own art.