Thread: WIP: Small side adventure map.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After creating a beveled hill in Xara, I always use a heavy dose of 'feather object' so the hill blends in with the background. Sometimes I convert the beveled hill to 'convert to editable shape', while I can't alter the bevel any longer, feathering works better, however it feathers both sides of the bevel so you'll need to be careful about revealing the layer beneath the hill between the bevel and the top of hill (I'll place a small extension of the hill top color to place beneath the hill to minimize that issue.) I usually apply such a heavy feather that the hill bevel is barely seen, more subtle and more realistic. Also consider giving your hill transparency level to blend in the background as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Thanks GP

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    After creating a beveled hill in Xara, I always use a heavy dose of 'feather object' so the hill blends in with the background. Sometimes I convert the beveled hill to 'convert to editable shape', while I can't alter the bevel any longer, feathering works better, however it feathers both sides of the bevel so you'll need to be careful about revealing the layer beneath the hill between the bevel and the top of hill (I'll place a small extension of the hill top color to place beneath the hill to minimize that issue.) I usually apply such a heavy feather that the hill bevel is barely seen, more subtle and more realistic. Also consider giving your hill transparency level to blend in the background as well.

GP
    I used dome of that, and I think I am getting closer to what I want. I used the bevel, convert to editable shape, guassian blur, and then the luminosity transparency to make a softer hill with shadow and highlight.
    I especially ike how it looks at the lower res when viewn from further out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hisha1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	27972  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Thothmoses; 08-11-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrong image files