Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] A medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think what you have looks pretty good. The main thing that I think you would be happier with is if you could diminish the brush-tip feel to the strokes you're making. To do that turn the opacity down a little further before painting the shadows. It will take longer but the result will be nicer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Ik can't find the Roleplaying City Map Generator anymore. The link you provided in the second post now leads to a browser game
    Is it still available somewhere?

That only seems to link to the same game, again. Unless I'm missing something.
    Meh

Wonderful! Thanks ^^

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Now open Photoshop, then File->Open the .bmp file you just saved from the City Map Generator.

Next isolate the map elements. While there are many ways to do this (the most versatile way being in saved Chanels) let's stay simple and direct: choose Select->Color Range, click on the background color, play with the fuzziness to be as exact as possible, then hit "ok." Then, with the “ants marching,” delete the background.

Repeat this Select->Color Range process with the buildings, the river, etc.--although instead of deleting, copy-paste each element into its own, individual layer.

• You'll notice I did not cut & paste the walls or towers: I found in tests it was easier to simply add them manually, later, if I choose to use them at all (for Koppollex I will not be adding walls or towers at all)

When I'm done creating layers for each element, I rename the imported image's layer "Original bmp file," then hide it by poking out the eye. I could, in fact, delete this layer altogether, but I'm a "layer pack rat" and so I save it just in case.

Now I have the exact same image as was imported, except with no background. So below the lowest layer I create a new layer ("background"), then use the paint bucket to fill a new layer with a solid green. [I've pasted a screenshot image, below.]

NOTE: If you decide not to use the Roleplaying City Map Generator, you should basically start with this step: create a "background" layer and fill it, then draw on your roads, buildings, etc., each in its own layer.

I'm a lil lost with exactly how I'd go about putting each element into its own layer. Can anyone elaborate on this, or even just a few screens detailing this part? I'm an absolute newb to using photoshop in this manner.

For instance, I selected the color blue of the stream, changed fuzziness and while selected, deleted it. How is it supposed to have it's own layer after I deleted it?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you want to keep the blue river on its own layer you need to select the inverse of the blue that you selected. So, using the select - color range function you can choose your blue but then you need to go to select - inverse then hit the delete key. That will delete everything not blue. Then remember to select - deselect (ctrl-d).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Or instead of deleting stuff, once you have what you want selected (before you inverse), use Ctrl-J to copy the selected pixels to a new layer.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast