Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August 2010 Entry : Brushy, Kansas - 1873

Hmmm. Some research is in order. I thought sepia was an aging artifact. Weren't new photos black and white? Will check it out.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nope - its a toning effect, not due to age
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Sepia's supposed to prolong the life of a photograph, I think?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Ah, some research...if you can call it that using sources like Wikipedia...has turned up some "facts" on Sepia tone. It *is* a toning process, used to prolong a photograph's life...replacing the silver with silver sulfide. Here's the quote from Wikipedia:

Beginning in the 1880s, sepia was produced by adding a pigment, made from the Sepia officinalis cuttlefish found in the English channel[1], to the positive print of a photograph. The term 'sepia' comes from the name of the pigment.
    That's the firmest date I was able to dig up, however, which puts its first use after the Civil War war ended...and even after the date of my alternate history Civil War photo. Another source says mid- to late-1800s and specifically mentions Civil War photos looking a little brown. It's pretty clearly a layman's piece, so I'm not sure I'm wanting to trust it wholly.

You'da thunk there'd be something more concrete on the Intarwebz somewhere but maybe my Google-fu is weak? Anyway, it's not all *that* important except to a historian of photography...and apparently not even all that important to them, since none have bothered to post anything about it on the net. So, I'll leave it up to artistic preference; give it a try and see which I prefer. While I'm at it I'll also add some more to the map and fix up the various little typos in the text. Hopefully a new version tonight.
    M

Sorry, mods. Just looked at the rules and realized I did not name the thread appropriately. I'll re-read them to make sure I'm not breaking other rules. *ruler smack* deo gratis.
    M

Little update. Minor changes plus typo fix and sepia-toned photo...it does look better, thanks for the idea.
    M

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brushy-Entry.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	938.2 KB 
ID:	28230  

What are you imagining was used to mark on the map? The writing looks too white to me; I would imagine that whatever was used would be at least a little translucent, and it would likely not be as bright as, for instance, the highlights on the gun. You might also see if there's something you can do to vary the shape of the "#" so that it doesn't look so computer-generated.

I love the sepia tone and the scalloped edge of the map paper.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks. I was imagining a white grease pencil of some sort. I'll do some research on it though...because you're right it's a little strange. Maybe it could use some blurring and translucency.
    M

Little better?

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brushy-Entry.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	934.5 KB 
ID:	28246  

Second paragraph:
    "...town isn't growing one whit...and had not done so for thirty years or so."
    "...town isn't growing one whit... And has not done so for thirty years or so." ?

Not sure, really - my English isn't the best ^^'

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast