Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August 2010 Entry : Brushy, Kansas - 1873

Nope, you're right on that one. I saw it before and meant to change it but did not. I also meant to get rid of the "so"-"so" thing. This is what happens when you write while distracted. Thanks for the catch. I'll just make the change and either update the last image or save it for my next update.
    M

The text is OK as it is. It's an issue with word processors that they interpret things like an ellipsis as the end of a sentence and auto-correct by capitalising the next word as the start of a sentence. I'm always "undoing (ctl-Z-ing)" this autoformat problem as I use "..." rather a lot.
    That said.
    "..." is mostly used to
    a) indicate removed words e.g. from a quotation e.g. "We shall fight in France... we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."
    b) indicate thoughtfulness on behalf of a speaker "Hrm. let me think..."
    c) indicate a "pause" in the narrative - he raised his sword to strike... and with one fell blow
    d) indicate missing words in narrative to leave it to the reader to decide "and with one fell blow..."
    e) to indicate where to cut the form off to send it back
    ................................................. (cut here)
    There are a load of rules about spacing and the like which I feel can be safely ignored. In the end... it all depends on how well versed the General is in Grammar!

PS. Don't quote me on any of this!! With or without...

EDIT - ah! a General in "Intelligence", I think that speaks for itself....?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I might go with something brownish red on those numbers or a dark brown rust. OR go with the light tan of the sepia look to mimic something scratched in. Not sure that the average guy would have access to anything fancy and so would just use what is handy or scratch something in. A photographer probably would, not sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    they interpret things like an ellipsis as the end of a sentence and auto-correct by capitalising the next word as the start of a sentence. I'm always "undoing (ctl-Z-ing)" this autoformat problem as I use "..." rather a lot.
    If it helps, you can type a "real" ellipsis with alt-0133 on a PC. I think that should prevent the word processor from assuming that it's a period. Actually typing your … also has the advantage of the spacing being correct; three periods are spaced a little too widely in most fonts. And an em dash can be typed with alt-0151. Those are the two alt-codes I use the most frequently. Alt-0169 is also occasionally useful: ©
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I need to get me a chart of those things, I think there was one posted or linked to here once somewhere.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Hi all,
    I reckon this is gonna be mah final entry. See y'all at the shootout.
    M

### Winner ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brushy-Entry.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	934.1 KB 
ID:	28519  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

What? No puns about who's fastest on the draw???
    I want one of those guns!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Hah! Never even occurred to me. I'm not very punny. Never understood Dralasite humor...so I always played Yazirians.

That is an 1873 Colt Army single-action revolver. Don't ask me how it got so grunged up *in* 1873. Could be Marshal Krispin does a fair bit of shootin'.
    M

When I'm on clean-up detail at my store I walk around and call myself Marshall Chillin (like Dillon). Marshall Chillin is gonna clean up this here pile o glass. I reckon Marshall Chillin should sweep up these here dust bunnies. Marshall Chillin is gonna mosey over n git a drink...and I mosey all bow-legged. Annoys the others to no end cuz I do that for about 2 hours heh heh. I need some chaps, though.

LOL! Why don't *I* work with anyone with a sense of humor?
    M

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast