Thread: Mapping with the goal of realism

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

Default Mapping with the goal of realism

Hey, all.

With my current project, I'm aiming for geographical/-logical realism, and reading some of the brilliant posts on these forums made me realize that I need to have an idea of planet-wide geography/geology before I can begin to map on a smaller scale. Even the smallest topographical features are the product of a long, interdependent chain of events that begins all the way back at tectonic plates and their movement.

So, I have a rough draft of the continents, major islands, and some mountains, and I need a second, third, fourth, etc pair of eyes to tell me how it looks. My primary goal is realism, though perhaps not diehard, ruthless realism - that is to say, I want the landscape to follow physical and geological laws, but I'm not obsessed with crazy, obsessive details. My project is for fantasy rather than sci-fi, after all (albeit very low-magic fantasy, so "the gods did it" or "magic did it" cannot excuse an uphill-flowing river or a mountain springing up from nowhere).

I've attached two pictures: one is the tectonics and their movement, and the other is the major landmasses overlaid onto the first, with ugly gray blobs where I think the mountains are supposed to go based on the plates' locations. The scale is the same as Earth. I have a few specific questions in mind, but would also welcome other input and direction.

1. Are the plate boundaries alright? (They're roughly modeled on Earth's plates, but are otherwise just random freehand.)

2. Do the plate movements (red arrows) look ok? Again, mostly random, but with cues taken from the real-world model.

3. Are the general shapes and scales of the landmasses plausible? Do they line up where they should with the tectonics?

4. Granted that all of the above is correct or correctable: where, then, would mountains occur? Where would there be volcanic activity? Where would smaller island chains occur?

5. Am I able to place further mountain chains at my leisure (though sparingly)? Where might they go? Specifically, I'd like some kind of inner-continent ranges so as to separate countries/cultures, but I'd rather not just magically plop them there without any (pseudo-)scientific basis.

Thanks for reading, everyone. Looking forward to any tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continents.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	28089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tectonics.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	28090