Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
Good eyes! ;-)
That's intentionally. The number of connections of each nexus is limited. And not all nexi are discovered at the same time. When the connection is established at high costs the Imperial auditors will be very nasty if it is changed without good reason.
If more connections are discovered this phenomenon may repeat several times.
The aether ships must stay horizontally within a few hundred meters of the aether line. Actually this ration is better for vertical direction as it is improved by the interference of aetheric and gravitational forces, so that ships can actually rise to two miles above the line.
Ah!! The legal beagles run the show!
I dunno if this is common knowledge but...
In the old days of UK canals and barges and all that, canals were dug by different companies. When one company wanted to join their canal to someone else's they were usually required to do so at a higher "level" so that water would naturally go from the new canal into the old. This means that the junction would be a lock where the water level drop might only be six inches but at least the older canal got the water... I remember going through one and for some reason it took ages for just 6 inches.
I wonder if a similar kind of "energy bleed" system might fit into your storyline?