Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August entry: Go Yurt!

1) A little more shadowing could be good...as well as some more light from that fire and the lamps splashing up against the chests and such.
    2) I would like to see this addition the most. The yurt itself is quite busy but the area outside is so plain. Maybe terrain that's a little crisp (but still washed out) near the yurt but fading out to nothing near the borders.
    3) Not sure what you can do with them. I reckon they're hanging from something, so maybe try to suggest the pole or rack or whatever they're hung from a bit more?

a) In addition to extra-yurty terrain additions, I'd like to see more done with the border...but I'm not sure what. At the very least maybe amp up the gold frame. Maybe it's realistic hand-beaten gold (or copper)? Or you could make the corner square areas a marble texture or something instead of just darkening the background? Bigger inset images in the corner squares? Not sure, it just feels a little spare to me.
    b) Create an additional yurt in the back to serve as a garage so the clan can park its SPACE yurt out of the weather. I suspect that SPACE yurts have some sort of cool nomad paint schemes (none of that bare metal hullplating for SPACE nomads) that could fade in the sunlight and become scratched in windblown sand. You know I'm just kidding right? Maybe.

M

LOL, I'm with ya on the Space Yurt idea.

Thanks for helping out with my brainstorming on this.

a) Border additions - If I had put one more point down it would have been this. Borders are not something I feel very good about doing. If I have time I will play around with it and see what I can come up with though. Practice makes perfect
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ok, spent a couple hours working on the shadows, tweaking the border and enlarging the corner images. Shadows are kind of a pain but hopefully this will help give a little more atmosphere to the place.

I plan to work on doing something about the outside landscape even if it's just a wash of some color so it's not quite so bland.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yurt stepsave2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	28560  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Yeah, that's working. One part that sticks out as very unshaded are the weapons racks by the door. Looking forward to seeing how you treat the "landscaping". I think it's a good idea but I don't have any conception of how it'll work.
    M

Alrighty then, I took a stab at the outdoor area. Changed the inserts a bit. Little more shadows around the weapon area. Put a light in the bathroom. I think that's it.

I have to step out for a new cell phone, mine went for a little swim :O

Let me know what you think. I still have a few hours tonight I can work on this

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	21 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	28569  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 08-29-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Updated with minute change

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like this colorized version a lot, but your trees look kind of funky and pixellated. They definitely help balance out all that empty space, though. As for the yurt itself, it looks great; all you need is a couple of nubile Mongolian princesses reclining on the pillows.

Looks great. Maybe a little too green but it's nice!
    M

Right, I was thinking of the kinds of trees architects use only colored a bit. I think you were right they didn't work as well as the rest. I have modified them to soften them up a bit and shaped them better. I think these are a little better. Hopefully good enough but if not I can have another go at them. I'm going to take a break for a bit though.

Thanks for the feedback!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	40 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	28572  

I'm liking those better. Great entry, Jaxilon!
    M

My mind must be going numb. I added the drop shadows on the trees,

Views:	33 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	28578  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast