I am using GIMP. I believe the build is 2.6.10. I also have the Python extensions and a couple of the other plug-ins installed, though all I have really used for this is the simulated layer effects. Maybe. Sadly, when I get into a roll, it is hard for me to stop and document each step. The basics for drawing the floor plan is done using various selection tools with the "Add to Selection" option clicked. Once I have the shape pretty much as I like it, I then save the selection to a path and then stroke the path. Makes for cleaner circles and arches than stroking the selection. I know for this map I used the Mosaic plugin a lot. The walls, the dressing outside of the walls, and the fireplace hearth were all done by playing around with the settings.

For the colors I tend to experiment with each map. For this one I chose something like a tan or a beige and ran the Old Photo filter over it to cut the slightly faded edges. Then I copied the layer and just toyed with the Colorize tool until I started finding combinations that I like. One I had a floor color and texture I like, then I added the Path to Selection, Grew it by about 5 px, Inverted the Selection and then hit Delete/Clear. That allows the Rock texture underneath to show through. If you are interested and I can duplicate my steps, I will post a mini-tutorial on doing it. Otherwise, my biggest recommendations for using GIMP (or any other photo-editing suite) are;
  • use Layers like getting candy on Halloween. Almost everything on that map is on a different layer.
  • Save often and in different file names
  • Keep a journal of things you do so you can replicate them (I need to follow this one more)
  • Experiment! When I first started using the GIMP for mapping I knew next to nothing about how. I posted a basic map here, got lots of suggestions, and then dropped of the face of the virtual Earth in order to do the "mad scientist" thing. I learned a lot.
  • Keep mapping. Some of my biggest hold-ups in making new maps is that I do it so rarely. Between coding macros for MapTools, running a game, playing video games, work and a bunch of other stuff, I don't map that often. Some of the folks here are Class A mappers and they get that way with practice and skill as well as talent.

Good luck. Can't wait to see your first product. Hope you didn't mind the long-winded explanation and unsolicited advice.