Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla View Post
Really great work!

I enjoyed your work on the Elsir Vale map, and even used many of the same techniques for my recent WIP.

I like the rivers and how this entire area should be very wet and damp. It makes for very interesting terrain.
Thanks 'Zilla! I had a lot of trouble with my mountains in the Elsir Vale map, but I used the Clouds filter then the Inverted Clouds filter a couple of times the way you did for this map. I like the bands of black this produces because it looks like craggy mountain passes and adds to the look of individual mountain peaks after the Lighting Effects filter. I'm trying to figure out how get convincing "snow" on the tallest mountain peaks right now... I might combine all my heightmaps together and apply some isometric tinting and then tweak that a bit.

Rivers are also a sore spot for me. But right now I'm trying to work out a way (combining your tutorial with RobA's) to get the Inverted Clouds filter on a Difference layer to provide rivers of a pre-chosen shape with random edges. Right now I'm just using a custom grunge brush to draw my rivers.

Critiques still welcome!