Quote Originally Posted by matt_s View Post
It needs to be 800x600
Is there a reason it needs to be that exact size? I am thinking perhaps you will be using it on a website? If so, typically, most people map at much larger resolutions so that details can be seen when zooming in(so, if doing for a website, you might want to consider both a screen size scale as a "thumbnail" as well as a click to view larger image for those who really want to see the details up close. Can you give more details as to the use(book, computer game,etc)?

Another thing, is what size are you talking about the area covering? 10 square miles or will this more be a continent or subcontinent size? ie, 1 inch = x miles or something like that.

Finally, though I don't have the same style, you might want to take a look at the links in my sig at some of my very long works in progress to see if they may interest you. I tend to like doing hand drawn maps (which take a while as I move on to other projects) on parchment style. The fairly lax timescale is also in my favor if the style is something you might like, as well, I would donate the proceeds to the CartographersGuild in lie of direct payment.