Thread: Painting textures for sketchup models

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Check out www.imageafter.com. I've gotten a lot of base textures from there and I do not believe they have any usage restrictions. Is it possible to layer textures in sketchup? The best way to break up repeats is to layer some stuff (base texture, grunge, etc.) so the repeat is less apparent.

And thanks for posting an image with "less dramatic" lighting. I was struggling to make out the details of the ship. Looks awesome, very submariney. I like that you made it fairly small. So many ship modellers go in for unbelievably immense capital ships so it's nice to see a corvette or frigate-sized ship. Also love the exterior hatches and ladders, implying that people "go up on deck" a lot. I can imagine damage control guys in suits out trying to figure out what's wrong with the aft gun. There's not a lot of room for crawlspaces in a small ship so I feel like that's a nice touch of realism. Good stuff.
    M

Thank you very much for the compliments.
    I designed it to be a small freighter with light armaments. I live near the docks in Seattle, so I see ships everyday and thats where I got the inspiration.
    As for the ladders and hatches.. well the way I see it it's imperative to have those to access all areas of the ship in case of emergency,evacuation, or maintenance.

I am not finished adding detail yet, but i really wanted to get a handle on texturing. Everytime I use textures from sketchup and render in kerkythea.. it looks very bad. Even the kerkythea materials seem to look bad. *shrug*
    I don't think you can layer textures in sketchup but i will see.

Again thanks for the tips and compliments