Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Long Term Doodle - Plumton, the town of Prunes

Good ideas chaps. Thanx!
    I've added some more stuff in the more industrial area. For some reason I put in the gallows and a local Assassins Guild Office, this is in NO way any kind of reflection on the progress of voting in the Current Challenge - at all!! At least my psychiatrist says it isn't and I believe both of him.
    I've started numbering things so I don't forget what some things are and to remind me that it is also a map! The existing text in the "key" is just a placeholder for now, I did it sorta scripty just to keep the "feel" online...
    Anyway, here's an update. Please feel free to chuck in any critique or comments if you like!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble06.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	28647

I don't know about you guys but the uploader/thumbnailer is still giving me gyp. Ho hum.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Blog Entries

This is so good.

I love that group of monks walking down the street. And the nefarious activity happening over the wall.

You should colour it after so you can put Wally in there somewhere.

I do love it but I have to wonder how good this would have looked had you decided to use a brush tool instead of a pencil tool.

Still, cracking stuff. Keep up the good work.

Edit: I'd just like to add... if you keep up this quality when it is done it will no longer be "just" a doodle but a fantastic map and I'll eat my hat if this doesn't get to be a choice.
    Last edited by Ramah; 09-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Man. You are totally killing me with this. I agree that I'd have loved to see it done with a brush instead of pencil. Might have gotten muddy, though. You can color it with 8 shades and call it pixel art (there's a whole faction of pixel artists out there on the net). And, if you finish this and doesn't end up as as a Cartographer's Choice *I'll* eat Ramah's hat. What sort is it, BTW?
    M

Wow it looks great, the detail is amazing! Can't wait to see finished map.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with ramah and mearrin - this it turning out to be a great map (and a daunting endevour) - great work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Crikey!
    I'll try colouring it when it's finished to see what it looks like but I worry about the "biscuit tin lid" aspect doing that might add to it! The picture postcard look is bad enough!
    By "brush" I assume you mean some tool that has surroundng effects presumably in the greyscale area? That would probably make it extremely slow and messy for me. The main tool I use is "Undo". Someone mentioned "ohomohok" somewhere (Redrobes re: Blender tool?). This is more like "ohotohocz" (one hand on tablet, one hand on Ctrl-Z).
    As for "pencil", well, I'm using Paintshop Pro X here and I deliberately decided to stick mainly with a plain 2 pixel square "nib" as it were. Occasionally I "venture" down to one pixel. Black with white background, no fancy stuff. I just wanted to be able to doodle with a minimum of complexity so I can draw, undo (ctl-z) or erase (RMB) by drawing over in white. Fiddling with layers (for example) and brushy things would just be a frustrating distraction and non-therapeutic! I haven't mentioned it but as one might imagine, it's a great device for relaxation, jus' doodling along...! Hum de hum, ctl-z, several times, rub out, draw.... [ Oh! Save game!!!]
    I WILL finish it... one day! Maybe sooner than I thought now! I wanna see mearrin69's millinary eating habits ! I'm what(?), about 15% "coverage" now after about a week (including a bank holiday).... hrm. Don't hold your breath!!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

I'm not wothy... I'm not worthy... *speechless*

Guild Applicant

Terrific stuff Crayons. It reminds me of that card your brother (R?) drew of your parents' place - perhaps that was what you were thinking of?

I'm not sure if it's big enough for an entire Honeypot Lane but one midden heap would fit. Perhaps, if you're not too fussy about period an Apothecary nearby - didn't they use to "recycle" tablets that weren't soluble?

Time for another update I guess. I may be spending some time on the new super challenge which will slow things down a tad. Some of what I've done here may "rub off" into one of my designs for that.
    Anyway - I decided I wanted a water-mill, which meant I needed a drop in the river which meant I probably wanted a lock - and a ramp for smaller boats and... and..
    Well, it has complicated things a bit in that I now have to try and have the buildings going down the same slope... which is tricky. Shot myself in the foot there I think.
    Also - I've stopped numbering things - I just jot a note of what it is instead - I'll sort out the numbers later.
    BTW The town is generically "fantasy" but that doesn't mean I don't throw in the odd alternate universe thing now and then. It's just a cartoon.
    cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble10.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	723.6 KB 
ID:	28898
    --

My Finished Stuff

What a lovely map. I can't turn away my eyes!

You deserve a truckload of rep for each step you post!

I can't wait to see this finished. Really beautiful!

Quabbe

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast