Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Long Term Doodle - Plumton, the town of Prunes

Blog Entries

Amazing work, man. Give yourself a pat on the back.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thank you very much guys - (I think! ... mad??? )
    I was wondering. I was thinking of starting to number all the relevant buildings for a key. Is there a "best" way of doing this? I've considered the following:
    1) More "imposing" or important buildings first
    2) from the center outwards
    3) starting top left and (roughly) going to bottom right

Does anyone have any advice on this?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post
    I was wondering. I was thinking of starting to number all the relevant buildings for a key. Is there a "best" way of doing this? I've considered the following:

Amazing ,amazing job !!

Any of those would work I usually start with the most important buildings and then work my left to right or center out depending on the shape of the city.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons View Post

Alphabetical order!

since there's a lot of buildings, indeed maybe make some groups with different number plates (e.g. fatter or double lined circles round the number). Make the important buildings bigger numbers. As for placing the numbers this is a little harder I guess... There's so much going on, and the buildings are darker so the eye gets pulled to the negative spaces (harbor and white tower). I think I would go for numbering the way the eye works on the drawing, i.e. from left-top, go right then down and then left in sort of a circle. Make sure numbers close to eachother are also close to eachother on the map so the eye can find them fast ... But I guess I'd have to see it for real to see if that would work.... well.. just my thoughts. cheers!

Are you thinking of drawing Thence and Yonder too? That would be abseloutly awesome. And you could draw the area between and the map would be SO awesome. ^^ And huge.

Crikey! No, I'm afraid Thence and Yonder (and Hither to the south but not labelled yet) are not on the agenda. Also, the drawing method doesn't really lend itself well to countryside "things" - as you can see in the town, grass, trees and bushes are all rather similar since they're sprayed on. With only black and white to play with and a "low" resolution, textures are very limited. Yes, I know I chose to do it that way but it was for simplicity and naivety reasons.
    I'm also completely out of ideas for fun things to put in, even in Plumton. The reason I'm "resting" this design is to allow time for me to come up with further stuff.
    Actually, after this and the Sept/Oct NY challenge I'll probably rest my hand and tablet for a while and get back to 3D stuff!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Oh.. Well, I guess we will have to imagine how awesome it would have been then..

I'm sorry Marken!
    It really has been a slog doing this thing and I wouldn't want to start another one, at least not for quite a long time!

However, I would like to finish it so I've done a load of the less imaginative stuff: numbering, labelling, border and a short description. This is (hopefully) the last WIP posting so please, please point out anything that you think needs correcting or improving!
    While looking you might like to see if you can spot the following?
    Sleeping guard
    Famous bugs
    Smugglers
    Horse "play"
    Mad monk
    Dazed escapee
    The Clochemerle controversy
    Piscine terpsichore
    Dead snorkeller
    Snake charmer
    Bathing woman
    Rooftop nefariousness
    Juggler
    Mexican band
    Chastised apprentice
    Hunchback henchman
    A mugging
    An infamous hotel
    Tripper
    Wallaby
    A jar too many the night before?
    Lawn manicurist
    Gnome Morris Dancers
    Haunted house
    Dead goose
    (it maybe that some are not well enough drawn to be recognised - I "see" them, but I know what they're "supposed" to be!)
    Aside from any changes you suggest, the "last" final version will have the font "monkeyed with" much as I have done with the Title. The Harrington font has aspects I don't like so I remove/modify a lot of the serifs and take out the curly "swishes" (thingys).
    I'll also be adding more people as ideas come to me and may do so even after I declare it "officially" finished.

Anyway, here it be, please speak now or forever hold your peace!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble17.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	29973
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-05-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added to list
    --

My Finished Stuff

I only have on word "Amazing".
    Great job!
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast