Thread: Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional - Anyone own this book?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you build it, they will come.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Post I went to Barnes and Nobles yesterday...

Since I'm not yet a major GIMP user, I did not purchase the books, however, I did find "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" and I did glance through the book.

Although it looked interesting, there was another book right next to it, that seemed really interesting, and perhaps more useful - Mastering GIMP Effects.

I'd say that second book looked better the first - IMHO. More step-by-step tutorials and deeper use of GIMP techniques.

I purchased Digital Horror Art - as that is one my interests...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I spent more time flipping though my copy and it has a few more good items I missed out before.

It deals with 2.4, the current version - so is useful to explain the new features.

It explains the new colour profile/management that GIMP supports as of this version.

It gets into the details of writing custom scripts, i.e. programming gimp to do macros, or whatever.

-Rob A>

Thanks for the info, guys. I have a new coupon for B&N online for 25% off, so I'm looking at these now.

Digital Horror Art - I saw that too in B&N the other day and it looked really good. Someday I'll master the basic skills so I can move on to something like that.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

FRAK!!!

I clicked on the link to B&N in the 25% off coupon email and, surprise surprise, the price of the GIMP book jumped from about $40 online discount price to the full list price of $50. I really hate when online stores do that kind of crap.

Just found it at Amazon for $32 and free shipping though.
    jaerdaph