Thread: Creating area maps with textures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

so far makes sense. I notice a lot of people import illustrator into photoshop, but recent versions of photoshop have pretty robust path editing tools. If I need some vector art in a map, I normally just use the Photoshop pen tool. Any reasons you (or others) lean towards illustrator? I'm assuming you are more comfortable with illustrator, and probably use it for other projects. But just curious.

I'm excited for the tutorial on applying those awesome patterns you use, like the shingles on the roof tops. And how you create your shadows (layer styles? brush them in?) Do you use certain types of layer styles frequently? yada yada....

But great work on the tutorial. It's always nice to get a peek at some other methods.
    Last edited by RobA; 09-01-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    Any reasons you (or others) lean towards illustrator?
    For me, object management is much easier in Illustrator, and the Pen tool is easier to use. I don't know if they've fixed it in CS5, but as of CS4 you can't use the spacebar to reposition an anchor point that you just dropped. I use that feature constantly in Illustrator and After Effects, and it plain annoys me that it isn't present in Photoshop.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name