Crayons was mentioning how deep the skills and items and disasters etc its going to run. Well firstly there are skills and I am saying that each race comes with 1 level in many skills. Humans start with 1 in farming, building, capentry, lumberjack, etc right up getting a 1 in blacksmith basic and miller. We would say these are unskilled tasks or semi-skilled. All the fine blacksmith work needs to be done by someone who gets a blacksmith advanced skill which you gain when you have say 100 pts in basic. So after a smith makes a easy cheap stuff like cartwheel hubs or whatever then the system adds one basic point. When he gets 100 it gives him 1 pt in advanced and he can start to make weapons or armour etc.

Goblins and other races will also have skills but not farming etc. I don't know what but they will be different.

Races have needs and desires of which the basic one is health. You must try to stay healthy. So no suicides in my land. You need to satisfy health before starting the next need and it goes down the list till you run out of needs and then your on to desired of which you can do in any order. Your character stats determine which biases to apply so that some people desire some things more than others. Wealth is a basic desire but there will also be piety, sex, destruction, battle etc.

People have items of which I can keep adding them. At the mo I am getting stuck with money. I would like for every trade to be done with money cos bartering is difficult to program since there will be some excess wealth on one side of the transaction or the other. The trouble is unless there is a mint there is no coin. Even if I said all money was abstract then who starts with some in order to buy something. Money must come from a central bank done with a mint - like a royal mint. Money is issued which drives up inflation and production of wealth drives down inflation. So I dunno - help ? Maybe I need to give everybody some abstract coin and inflate it across the board. So you have a gp in your pocket but lo, someone generates loads of wealth so now everyone has 2gps in their pocket without doing anything because inflation has gone down, your gp is worth twice as much. Or the price of everything just halved and you keep the same amount of gps in your pocket. Odd ? Possibly - anyone study economics ? I'm not used to a closed small system - esp one without a mint or a central bank.

Anyway, for now if noone trades then MrNewOnTheBlock has to chop some trees into logs and build a cabin, plant some seed and raise crops and drink from the stream to get his needs sorted out. Then he can worry about how much money he wants and whether theres any hot chicks to oggle at and marry or gods to worship or whatever. Were not there yet tho so no need for money at this premature stage.

Because Goblins have a different set of needs and desired, one of them I think will be the need for chaos which will be driven by the amount of ordered wealth he can see. So if I model a goblin village and run it in then they will see all those nice neat houses worth a fortune and try to destroy them. Then the people will hopefully see that goblins cost money and fight them or pay for protection. So yes, I think invasions and disasters are on the cards. I think thievery and other evils of the world will add to the mix as well. We may get public hangings for reoffending thieves.... Or maybe it will drive some able fighting soldier types to become bounty hunters and then maybe even a sheriff or some kind of structured law enforcement will arise out of it.

One of the things I am particularly keen to model is the idea of working for somebody where a cut of your profits go to your employer. I am keen to see how this affects the dynamics of a society. Another one which would be interesting but I think can wait is the idea of a global welfare, social services and tax system. At what point does it become desirable to have these in a village or town.

Lots of ideas but gotta get that single man to drink first. He spawns healthy but thirsty and hungry and those two trump shelter at mo.