Thread: New member - Roundtree campaign & regional maps

Guild Novice

Map New member - Roundtree campaign & regional maps

Hi all! I just recently joined and thought I'd share some of the maps I've created recently. They're all finished works, so I'm not going through the WIP steps: hope this isn't bad form.

This first map is a the world scale campaign map for my RPG world Roundtree. It was created entirely in Xara 6. I updated the bordering and creasing after seeing the stunning Vaniya map by Ramah. My free time to map is a bit limited, so I've tried to develop techniques/templates to build quickly - this map was completed in an evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundtree.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	610.6 KB 
ID:	28573

The second map is a regional map of the area the current adventuring party is roaming. The various terrain icons have been created gradually over the years, which again helps things come together quickly. This map took bit longer to craft than the world map.

Name:	kell.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	730.8 KB 
ID:	28574

Blog Entries

Lovely maps, Tovokas. I like the first one the best -love your hills. With the second one, I like all your little symbols but there's something weird going on with the shadowing on them. I also suspect that it could look better if the roads were sharp and in focus. As they are blurred, for me at least, they kind of separate the foreground from the background and make the symbols stand out too much. Makes it look like two different styles. Did you try doing it with unblurred roads?

Still, great maps and I'm flattered by the influence Vaniya had on you.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Lovely maps, Tovokas. I like the first one the best -love your hills. With the second one, I like all your little symbols but there's something weird going on with the shadowing on them. I also suspect that it could look better if the roads were sharp and in focus. As they are blurred, for me at least, they kind of separate the foreground from the background and make the symbols stand out too much. Makes it look like two different styles. Did you try doing it with unblurred roads?
    Teach me to post my first map to the finished map section!

Actually, I think I did the road that way because they took about 2 minutes to do, and I didn't have to worry about any 'text glow' issues from the names. Here's a quick version with harder roads and less shadow on the symbols.

Name:	kell2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	817.1 KB 
ID:	28577

And thanks all for the kind words.

Really lovely maps. Repped and saved in my inspiration map.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Blog Entries

Those roads look a lot better.
    What I meant with the shadowing was, on some of your markers the shadowing on the marker itself (not the shadow thrown on the ground) seems to be on the left side and some are on the right. For instance, you have the Black Lantern tower and the hut just above it, both with shading on the left. The two huts above those have shading on the right as I can see it is the other hut mirrored. Judging by your ground shadows, it is those final two huts that are correct and the tower and other hut that are wrong.
    This is just one example as the shadows seem to shift on your markers all around the map.

Sorry if I seem overly picky. Other than that problem I think your map is really great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Really nice maps. Repped.
    I prefer the first one even though the second's symbols are pretty nice.

Oh, so beautiful! Repped

Quabbe

Guild Journeyer

God I love your artstyle so much.