Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    I I have another slightly off-track idea: York, England was founded by the romans in 71 A.D., so what would have happened if their empire had never fallen and it had been they who colonized the west, centuries before Spain, England and France otherwise would have? I postulate a 'York Nova.'

Rethinking the statue of liberty will be the most fun, and I somehow think Central Park will become the Colosseum Centricum.
    Oooh, that's a good idea too. Maybe for my second one I'll do the Spanish Imperial colony of Nueva Jork (after a successful invasion by the Armada of England...).

Man, am I the only one who can't seem to really find something I'm happy with? For some reason I seem to be suffering from block on this. I get an idea, I mock it up, and then I think it's just crap. I've got several in my head but none of them make me really happy yet. I have one that I may just go with but man, it's like pulling teeth in that I have to force myself to inch forward. It is very unlike me because typically I get an idea and then I can't sleep I'm so sucked in. Maybe it's just that procrastination part of my brain that says, "Nah, you work best under pressure so keep farting around until you have no hope and then you will really burn the oil and get it done"? Whatever I feel bleh about it. I keep waiting for the lightning to strike but so far there aren't many clouds in the sky.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 09-20-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Improving English
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

No I am struggling with this one too. Mapping a city is a difficult thing generally then this one is unfamiliar to me. All of the ideas I come up with would take a significant amount of time which to be honest I don't have. I really want to enter something special but I don't see it happening.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've got ideas but no time and little motivation. I made up my mind long ago that I would not be sticking with the current street layout so that freed me up a lot. The only thing that I'm dithering about is whether or not to use current geography. I'm thinking of just taking an outline of the landmass, doing my thing, and slapping a title on it. Lots of freedom that way. Take Immolates zombies in Central Park thing...take out the streets, put in my own, and call it ogres in the park. The freer you make it the easier it will go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm going to do one that's based on a specific neighbourhood of New York rather than mapping the whole thing. Streetview is a wonderful thing for this so you can get an idea of what the city looks like at ground level. Now mapping Soho might not be a bad idea given the location of the gallery...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

totally agree - although a bit easier if you've ever been to New York
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah, the sheer size and complexity of NYC keeps stunting my motivation. But RecklessEnthusiasm's phrase "...Coloseum Centricum" makes me rethink: what if I just do some recognizable fragment of the whole? A-Z and other publishers make a mint off of city atlases; maybe I can get away with an outline of the whole city's landforms with a locator box, and just "page 117" of detail.

Glad to provide inspiration. I'll probably keep mentioning any ideas I come up with here: if I don't get to them, others are welcome to steal some!

I am hoping to do a map of just the Soho area as well. As soon as I figure out what I want to to with it, I'll have three ideas and I'll be rearing to go. Now, as I said, I just need to clear my plate of my commissions so I can really focus--I wish doing part-time graphic work prompted the same kind of speedy responses from contractors that professional graphic design contracts did!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't count on contractors being fast in any business - except when they are running from the bill
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

i'm doing one, just haven't posted yet. Still in the research development phase really.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast