Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Fire up Wilbur, load the DEM of your choice, and use Texture>>Other Maps>>World Flood.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Fire up Wilbur, load the DEM of your choice, and use Texture>>Other Maps>>World Flood.
    Is there a Wilbur user out there who wants to take this on or collaborate?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Ok, I thought I'd enter, although I have only just now read about the contest. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet though but then there is still plenty of time!

Default Virtual New Amsterdam

Don'tcha just hate it when someone's already done it!!!
    A Google Earth map of New Amsterdam by the New Amsterdam History Center
    http://www.newamsterdamhistorycenter...m/Exhibit.html
    and follow the login instructions...
    bah.
    Anyway - I'm still enjoying doing my own POVRay version and I can release it under CC so... we'll see if it's any good, assuming I finish it.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

30 entries, so 2 thirds of what is needed, and at least one wont finish, in my opinion we should postpone the challenge to the new year - Make a deadline in january and move the potential exibition to february (or what ever is possible).
    Arguments:
    - its is much better to postpone to get good entries instead of hurried entries
    - NY maps won't be time critical - an exibition would work just as well later as now
    - we will be more "serious" when we won't make a bad exhibit but actually want to be presented best possible.
    - we'll never hit 45 maps in 5 days
    - by expanding the timelimit some people (like me) might do more than one map

in addition to expanding the deadline, I think it would be prudent to run new challenges as well, so the NY challenge will be a "side-challenge".

what do you guys think?
    @Torstan - what will the gallery think?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

We have 12 days don't we? Not sure I can finish mine in 5 days. The rules did say if we didn't have the full number of maps the show would run at a later date. At this point I'm guessing it's doubtful that we will have 45 maps by the end of month.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

its the 19th here - and the challenges usually end on the 25th (in theory) - so I rounded down I guess
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This one runs to the 31st so, 12 days still. I'll chat to the gallery and see. The advantage of running it through the end of November and early December is the holiday season when the gallery will get good audiences and potential customers for prints, whereas the new year is notoriously quiet as people get back from holiday and are head down at work.

So what exactly happens if we don't get the maps we need? I'm thinking if this thing gets bumped for a couple months I may just jump back to square one and do the map I really wanted to do all along.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    So what exactly happens if we don't get the maps we need?
    that means we have to sacrifice a cartographer to the mapping gods to appease them
    regs tilt

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast