Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Have you looked into things like the Lulu Online Publishing options?
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, Lulu's not cheap unless you can order a chunk at once. And then they all get sent to one place and would have to be distributed. That's something to be tackled in November realistically, but if there's a will to do this I guess we can find a means of creating something affordable. Tilt - I'll send you a pm and chat. I'd forgotten that this is more i your line of work.

Lest anyone wishing to join the challenge is scared off by the various comments about staking a claim regarding what map they plan to make: You can create any type of map you want. It is no problem if you happen to map a similar idea as someone else as long as it is your own work. So, if you want to map Godzilla taking over then go ahead, we can have as many Godzilla maps as we can enter.

I only mention this because it seems like we have a lot of of us making preemptive posts about what we plan to do and I want to make sure anyone new to the sight isn't scared off by that. It's more of a fun thing to let others know what we plan to do and it kind of motivates us to get our gears moving. It is entirely OK if you had the same idea. It's not going to be the same anyway.

I personally have not posted anything on what my thoughts are for a map but when I get around to doing it, I won't really care if someone else had the same idea. Mine will still be mine.

Happy mapping everyone!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's a good point Jax. I realize one of my comments in one of the many threads may have come off that way, so i apologize to everyone in general if I left that impression.

And yeah, with all the original ideas coming out, there's going to be a point where it'll be hard to do something totally unique in concept anyhow, so just do what you do to the best of your ability

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I don't think it's any problem for any of us who are here all the time because we've seen it before. I wasn't trying to point any fingers at you or anyone else so don't feel bad. I know I even posted a similar type of thing on the last lite challenge. I think it's just our way of sticking a flag in the ground to say what we plan to do. But then I got to thinking about the possible new people coming in to join us for this and wanted to make sure they understood what was what.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its a good point Jax - and we do allready have a lot of Post Apocalysm maps on the way ... but they are a bit more exiting than just mapping NY as it is *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I was kind of wanting to do a map of the State of New York but I expect after thinking about it some more that they really only want the City of New York, am I correct in this?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what I gather is that the CITY is the main focus - but you can do the state as well... Coyotemax is doing the whole state..
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Destroyed in more ways than any other city? I've got to think Tokyo has New York beaten there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, you're right about Tokyo - there are more weird and wonderful creature to have taken that city apart than any other.

As for the focus - as long as New York City appears on the map you're fine - so a state map with New York labeled would be eligible.

And yes, just because one person has 'staked a claim' in no way precludes anyone else from doing the same thing.

I'd just like to note - front page of ArtOrder today! We got our very own post from the Wizards Art Director all to ourselves for this challenge so welcome to all Artorder readers that have found your way over here!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast