Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have an idea for a second one, but first with my tradeshow and then with my toothache and now with my after tooth getting pulled ache I'm suddenly way behind in my real job... dammit
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Darn, It would be a shame to miss this opportunity by falling short on the number of maps... I'll try my best to do the maximum (3). I think I need to focus on clearing my plate of my current comissions, then I can throw me weight behind map #2 and #3....

Blog Entries

But then, would you feel great having rushed two maps to get the quota up and having sub-standard work displayed? I'm not saying that if you did three maps any of them would be sub-standard but it would be a worry of mine. I'd hate to rush an entry knowing that it would get in the display and then lower the tone of the whole exhibition by having a steaming pile of rubbish displayed. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    But then, would you feel great having rushed two maps to get the quota up and having sub-standard work displayed? I'm not saying that if you did three maps any of them would be sub-standard but it would be a worry of mine. I'd hate to rush an entry knowing that it would get in the display and then lower the tone of the whole exhibition by having a steaming pile of rubbish displayed. :S
    Yeah, that's my worry too. I think I'm just going to concentrate on doing the best job I can for my first entry, and if I run out of time for more, then so be it. I agree that we should've run this over a longer period.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've got an idea just no motivation right now. I'm turning the subway system into a dungeon map, woo.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Whoa! I think I typed up a whole deal and it just poofed on me. I thought I posted it here but maybe it was in another thread (in which case I'm sorry for the ID-10-T error and thanks for deleting it). My back is killing me today and I may be a little off my game.

My question was how do you determine how you use reference material for something like this? Can you just copy in a street map and trace over it creating your own layer or do you draw each street by eye? I see a number of really cool looking maps with all the streets and I'm thinking I would go cross eyed if I did that all by eye. I believe it's the artist style for the map that makes it worth looking at and why these may be headed for SOHO but I was curious about this point.

I'm always worried about using something someone else did but really there isn't a lot of art to drawing street lines unless that's what you are after (the line work). The streets of NY are exactly where they are and the outline of the landmasses isn't going to change any time soon so how much do we have to draw by hand for this to be legit? Obviously, if I traced this from google maps or something it's not like it would be perfect or that anyone could even challenge it but what's the thought on this?

/* Man I'm really worried I might have posted this in someone's thread. If so, just so I'm clear, the question isn't one that came up because of one person's map and as far as I can see all the maps we have already are looking awesome. I hope to get my junk together and get a decent entry in as well but I keep changing my mind */
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

I've posted a street map somewhere earlier in this thread that you can use, it from some open source thingy
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

As long as you're not copying and pasting other people's copyrighted work and claiming it as your own I'm sure it's fine. So Tilt's open source street plan is a great starting point. The question then is what you do with it.

As for the times - this was the first ever challenge to run over more than 1 month - so 2 months felt like a good length to use to feel it out. I certainly appreciate the feedback that people would prefer to have longer, and if we do this style of challenge again then we'll take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I've got an idea just no motivation right now. I'm turning the subway system into a dungeon map, woo.
    I thought of doing something similar with either the subway or the sewer system: they are sort of the real-life Underdark of NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Let's be honest, Ramah--compared to your amazing skillz, anything I make is going to comparatively look pretty rubbish.

----

I have another slightly off-track idea: York, England was founded by the romans in 71 A.D., so what would have happened if their empire had never fallen and it had been they who colonized the west, centuries before Spain, England and France otherwise would have? I postulate a 'York Nova.'

Rethinking the statue of liberty will be the most fun, and I somehow think Central Park will become the Colosseum Centricum.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 09-16-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Blog Entries

sounds cool... I'll think I'll make myself a used chariot shop then
    regs tilt

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast