Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge: Mapping the Big Apple ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

We had lots of foot traffic for the first show but only a couple of sales. I have my own ideas why - the pricing was high ($90 for a letter page print, $125 for 11 by 17) and the maos themselves were not of places that peope had a personal connection to. So the question was - why would somebody buy this map to hang on their wall? This time round the prices will be a little lower - around $50-60 for letter, $80 for 11 by 17. These are not fixed now, but will be closer to the time. I have a list of prices from the printer which determines the cost of the raw print on which the profit to artist and gallery is added. This should be helped by the addition of local interest (maps of New York on sale in New York) and the fact that it will be in the holiday shopping season. However I'd definitely not jump on this as a reliable scheme for making a ton of cash - it's an opportunity to get your work in a gallery, and add a fun notch to your CV. I'll be working hard to see that the gallery publicises it well in New York and organise a launch party with wine to get people in and see if we can't sell a few prints.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    This time round the prices will be a little lower - around $50-60 for letter, $80 for 11 by 17. These are not fixed now, but will be closer to the time. I have a list of prices from the printer which determines the cost of the raw print on which the profit to artist and gallery is added. ... However I'd definitely not jump on this as a reliable scheme for making a ton of cash - it's an opportunity to get your work in a gallery, and add a fun notch to your CV. I'll be working hard to see that the gallery publicises it well in New York and organise a launch party with wine to get people in and see if we can't sell a few prints.
    For my part Torstan, consider any profits from my works to be automatic donations to CGs Ongoing Support Fund.
    Just felt it was worth saying.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store