Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge: The Refuge of Neo-York

After spending some time away form it I came back and decided to scrap what I had because it just wasn't satisfied with the results and the scale. Redid my land masses and here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep-Oct Mapping Challenge - Neo-York.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	28911  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Big delay on an update. This for sure has been a learning experience. I'm curious if my style is going in the right direction or if I should reel it back a bit. Still just a general impression on the landmasses and subway routes also testing textures. Let me know if you find anything lacking.

## Latest WIP ##

Views:	44 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	29648  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow - that's pretty awesome.

It's good, but just remember... a compact car requires a circle with a radius of about 3m to do a complete turn... a subway train I'm sure requires a circle much closer to 300m or more depending on the speed. So unless those tunnels have been "added to by create peoples" there should be a greater variation in size and less right-angle joins. One of those things about having engineers in the family...

But I like the syle.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Agree with Juggy on the right angles thing but otherwise looks fine style-wise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

As it stands I'm not redoing subway lines again. Had to redo them a couple of times due to PC crashes. Also it's hard to find subway maps that are accurate most available are pictorial style and totally out of scale, therefore, I'll make up a conceptual reason for the right angles!!!
    Cheers, Julien

Again more playing around with textures/coloring/style. I think I'm happy with the style now. Also added a couple passages and a wide cavern in the area the community will be located. Time to work on all the small details and make my border/compass. Also as for the right angles and the angular look of the tunnels. I'm going for a pictographic representation of the underground. Not an accurate one. My excuse/reasoning is science and education wasn't preserved after the apocalypse that this map represents and the trains aren't in use any further, except the "Phantom Train".

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	43 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	29669  
    Cheers, Julien

Big improvement form post 11.Keep the updates coming.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I think it's looking great - and wouldn't worry in the slightest about the right angles. This is not meant to be an actual road map for motorists is it? It's leaning more towards art than towards accuracy. As long as you don't move an entire burrow to a new location, i think this map is totally fine and a good unique idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    I think it's looking great - and wouldn't worry in the slightest about the right angles. This is not meant to be an actual road map for motorists is it? It's leaning more towards art than towards accuracy. As long as you don't move an entire burrow to a new location, i think this map is totally fine and a good unique idea.
    ROFL - Now, come on where is your sense of adventure? If you can't move an island what's the point of being an artist?

“I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way.” supposedly said Mark Twain and in like manner it's a sad mind that can only see the world in one way
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast