Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: Post Apocalyptic NY

Looking good! One thing I really like about this map is the imaginative shapes. It's recognizeable as Manhattan (probably once it's pointed out to you) but it looks like somewhere else altogether - which is as it should be with a P-A map, especially a far future one. You going to have any ruins? I guess that, after such a long time, the skyscrapers would have mostly converted into hilly terrain rather than anything recognizeable. Might make for some hills at the tip and up just south of where the park was located. I guess the part would be nice low-laying terrain, actually, since it's surrounded on all sides by some tallish buildings.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff so far... I would suggest 'toning down' the water texture just a bit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looking good! One thing I really like about this map is the imaginative shapes. It's recognizeable as Manhattan (probably once it's pointed out to you) but it looks like somewhere else altogether - which is as it should be with a P-A map, especially a far future one. You going to have any ruins? I guess that, after such a long time, the skyscrapers would have mostly converted into hilly terrain rather than anything recognizeable. Might make for some hills at the tip and up just south of where the park was located. I guess the part would be nice low-laying terrain, actually, since it's surrounded on all sides by some tallish buildings.
    M
    This was actually my idea for the south tip. I have in mind a terrain similar to those of vanished culture from the past. As you suggested, very slight hills for the skyscrapers and may a hint of different colour where streets have been.
    I will also add more variation in the town itself, adding more distinct structures for churches and palaces and such stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Cool stuff so far... I would suggest 'toning down' the water texture just a bit.
    Indeed, that's too much at the moment.

Map

First idea for ruin hills.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYPA.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	29645  

Pretty cool. Looks a little too orderly, IMO. If people disappeared and they just rotted and collapsed I might expect something like that...but you've got ortillery going on there, so maybe a little more chaos? Also, and I have no idea what the volume of material in a real skyscraper is, but I'd want them to be bigger and more merged together.

I do like the way you can still sort of see the roads, though. Reminds me of that "cool Google Earth images" thread, where you can see the old foundations in Cairo and Ankor Wat.

Here's a question to ask...why has no one built there? I think if you can answer that question and make the terrain reflect that answer then you'll sell the piece better. I don't have an answer...just posing the question.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

maybe some ruins still poking up here and there?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Pretty cool. Looks a little too orderly, IMO. If people disappeared and they just rotted and collapsed I might expect something like that...but you've got ortillery going on there, so maybe a little more chaos? Also, and I have no idea what the volume of material in a real skyscraper is, but I'd want them to be bigger and more merged together.

I do like the way you can still sort of see the roads, though. Reminds me of that "cool Google Earth images" thread, where you can see the old foundations in Cairo and Ankor Wat.

Here's a question to ask...why has no one built there? I think if you can answer that question and make the terrain reflect that answer then you'll sell the piece better. I don't have an answer...just posing the question.
    M
    I guess that after 1500 - 1700 years of decay most of the concrete and steel has 'rotted' away, crumbled etc and also washed away by rain and storms. So I don't think the ruins should be bigger; but more chaos is a good idea.

The east coast was - and is - still hostile to ordinary humans: roaming nomads and barbarian mutants, mutated beast, relict combat robots etc. So there aren't many settlements like this, and the existing ones are strong fortified. I guess this town isn't older than 200 years. It was built where it is mainly for defense and economic purpose - the land craters serve as strongholds and the 'water' craters as ports.
    That the areas in the south and north are uninhabited and relatively clear of trees has also another reason - free field of fire (? correct name?) for artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    maybe some ruins still poking up here and there?
    See my explanation above
    Last edited by Sapiento; 09-24-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Wip

Further refinement.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYPA.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	29723  

Looking good. What's that thing with white fins in the upper "circle fort"? Some kind of windmill?
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks awesome..Is that a Zeppelin? floating over the river?...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast