Thread: Hand Drawn Maps. Not in PS, GIMP, InkScape, etc. But in HAND.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As do I. And it is equally inaccurate to say that no one draws by hand any more. It is true, though, that we do not see a lot of hand-drawn work here, mostly because it's an electronic medium, and it's just easier to get a computer generated map posted than it is a hand-drawn one. Particularly if the map is larger than letter-sized, which makes it difficult to scan.

Personally, I enjoy brush-and-ink drawing, and I fell back on it recently when Photoshop just wasn't giving me the look I wanted as easily as I wanted it. That wasn't for a map, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I've been hand drawing my maps ever since I start as a teen. I took a long break from both map drawing and gaming for about ten years, though, and only got back into it within the last two years or so. In that time, I was hand drawing all of my maps until I found this place. I still hand draw all of my maps. However, now I scan those maps and work on them digitally. My main reason for do this is that I'm able to digitally remake this map in a variety of different ways, some showing only borders, some concentrating on elevation or other physical features. One other great benefit of doing things digitally is that I'm able to reproduce the work immediately in the case that the first one is compromised or destroyed. Quite valuable, really.