Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: New Amsterdam - in Three Deee

The perspective would be wierd because there isn't any - it's an orthographic render, but you're right it, it does look odd! One of those things I haven't seen due to overexposure I guess.
    I'll probably go for a perspective render in future, maybe it'll hide more too! lol.
    It is a bit colourful now, I tend to use "placehold" colours during development - with POV it's easy to go back and "retune" when all the jigsaw pieces are in place. By "saturate" I would assume you mean "make paler"??? I'm not all that au fait with all the terminology of hue, colour, tone and so forth!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

It's actually "desaturate", make the colors less bright and intense I'm thinking. But I'm only learning too.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Well, it's getting late - I have tomorrow to do whatever else I can. Bridges, the remaining walls, more of the garden details...
    What we do have here are the two wind mills, the main wall along what is now Wall Street aaaaanndd... a perspective view... to settle any queasy tummies from the rather skewed looking orthograpic view before.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new amsterdam 07.png 
Views:	1198 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	30506
    Obviously quite some stuff to do yet. I hope I have time.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Time for bed over here. I should be able to get some more done tomorrow - depending on the actual challenge end time....
    That's about it for architectural "stuff" - time for some text I guess.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	new amsterdam 08.png 
Views:	1182 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	30557
    --

My Finished Stuff

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice looking crayons, a little to saturated in my opion (as mentioned above), but I'm aware this is not the final version yet ... love the little ship
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looks pretty cool. I would prefer more muted colours, myself.

Considering Manhattan is about 3.5 Km wide though...those farm houses seem pretty big. And, Bajeepers! Broadway looks about 300m wide. Is that right? Don't really matter.. that's art for ya.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Ah yes.
    It probably needs explaining by someone doing an historical map here!
    Manhattan at its thickest is possibly 3km wide.... now. However, the "best" historical reference of New Amsterdam is the "Castello Plan" of 1660 - and varients.
    Firtsly, New Amsterdam is/was at the very tip of Manhatten. From Wall Street down. "Wall Street" getting its name for obvious reasons!
    Most of that part of modern Manhattan is now built on landfill. I've marked the perimeter of 1660 New Amsterdam here on this openmap image.

Name:	opmap NA.png 
Views:	1437 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	30579
    (The "X" marks the castle)
    The original "Castello Plan" looks like this...

Name:	795px-CastelloPlanOriginal.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	30578
    There are a number or versions of this but they all show the same basic road widths as they all come from the same source map and it's the one all the historical people use as their reference. Including the good Larb, here. The width of the roads is what makes mapping this in the rather more "crowded" fantasy "look" rather impossible. Unless one decides to really "let rip" with Artistic License!

The scale was indeed tricky but I calculated a "baseline" from googlemaps - being the length of Wall Street from Pearl St to Broadway as about 410m (IIRC). Even so - I felt I needed some "tweaking" but I think I have the building dimensions about right.
    The people at the "New Amsterdam History Centre" have a 3D model already and their scaling seems to imply that my houses are a bit small...hrm.
    www.newamsterdamhistorycenter.citymax.com
    --

My Finished Stuff

Fair Enough. I've spent a bit of time in Manhattan and it certainly seems bigger than you describe. But clearly you've done your research, and that landfill point makes sense... so hats off to you. (Grin) Nice work.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

LOL!
    Sadly I've never been there! My only exposure to the real USA has been sitting inside airports (awaiting connections while enroute to/from New Zealand) and looking at it across the Niagara Falls! Not the best vantage points.
    I can only assume that "Broadway" got its name for very good and real reasons and that being somewhere with LOTS of space they decided to use as much as possible! This is certainly something I've noticed on my trips in Canada.
    For example: Motorways/"Freeways" (or whatever you call 'em!) - in Canada - the central reservation was what I can only call "huge". If one were to crash and veer onto the central reservation you'd have a good 100 feet or more to travel across before meeting the oncoming traffic in the opposite carriageway. In the UK the carriage ways are almost always right beside each other and have a (very expensive) crash barrier. Space is at a premium.
    That said, obviously Manhattan "density" and space premiums are high too - now!
    This whole project has been interesting! It's hard to "nail down" old history of UK towns in terms of dates or maps - stuff just sort of "peters out" or fades into the further past. With colonial expansion people just plain "arrived" and were apparently more interested in marking their own history down, I guess. It's also much more "modern history" by comparison! For example - the school I went to predates the "Castello Plan" by 60 years.
    --

My Finished Stuff

I'm sort of just posting this as a stake in the ground at this version. There are still some minor bugs to sort out with the labelling which I hope to get done tonight, time permitting. Not to say that there aren't all sorts of other bugs I'd like to fix one day but that's part of the whole thing with 3D!
    Anyway - this is full size, I guess. Not sure what paper size it has ended up as but....
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	new amsterdam 09.jpg 
Views:	1235 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	30593

[Right now though, I'm hating the green on my Monster Mayhem entry and I just have to fix that! I have no idea what I was thinking at the time, it was late! Doh.]
    --

My Finished Stuff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast