Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seandomhan v2.1

Hey guys,

some problem ... I want to add mountains on my map. They should be there where I painted the brown lines on the landmass but I'm not sure if they are in a "realistic style". In the south of the main landmass there is a "broken" mountain. I need this interruptions because its a problem if the mountainline devides this area in two parts. The second problem is in the middle where two mountainlines are nearly concave to each other. The story demands a corridor between those mountains but I'm not a geological expert.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Seandomhan_v2_6_Berge.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	900.6 KB 
ID:	29646  
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic27022_1.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are always such things as gaps, passes, and saddle-backs in mountain ranges that allow folks to travel through them much easier. For that "corridor" thingy just make it a long broad river valley or glacial valley.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Was just watching "Wild China" on Netflix. I guess there's a series of parallel mountains running north-south in the Himelayas (sp?) that funnel warm, moist air up from the Indian Ocean to create a lush jungle environment nestled in some mountain valley. Supposedly the origin of the Shangri-la myth. Some botanist dude went there at the end of the 19th century and brought back a bunch of plants that became all the rage in Europe (and the US...kudzoo, ick). He was a big hit with all of the flower-crazy folks back then.

If weird stuff like that works in the real world I guess it can work in your fantasy world
    M

So ... long time ago

I tried nearly all Mountain Tutorials here and decided to use the nice "Terrain creation tutorial" from "pasis". Here is my first try to rise a mountain surrounded by a bit forest.

Any comments - things that could be better? (I have 5 layers: 1x background, 3x mountains (high/med/low) and 1x forest like the tutorial says)

Name:	Mountain.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	30150  
    Last edited by Sonnenfalke; 10-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.

I wouldn't give the the forest such a blurry edge. I think a scattered hard edge would look better.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think he blurred forest edge is okay, but I would try to break it up a bit so it's not such a smooth line.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Long time nothing to hear and see from me but I was busy in studying cartographer's tutorials ^^

Now I can present you the latest version of my map ... It's a try of Pasis' mapstyle.
    At the moment missing are Towns, Roads, Fields, Names and the final touch of hills by the rivers and maybe a stronger shelf.
    But I'm a newbie in mapmaking so please be nice to me

But my greatest problem is - I can't save my map with Photoshop CS5 as JPG ... due to lack of RAM ;(
    The PSD-file is 1,43 GB and I only have 2 GB of RAM in my PC. Any Idea how to cheat Photoshop without buying more RAM? ^^

Name:	Effekt7.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	31499  
    Last edited by Sonnenfalke; 12-16-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Flatten the image before saving. If you have a bunch of layers showing in the layer palette PS chugs and chugs and each of those layers adds a huge chunk to the memory load. So if you flatten it before saving it should work just fine..then undo the flatten and resave as psd. I think it's under Layer - Flatten Image at the top of the screen.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

And here two pictures for our RIVER POLICE ... hope all is flowing right

Name:	Effekt9.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	31502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Effekt8.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	31503  

Ascension - Great advice! Also, one of the awesome features in the newer versions of Photoshop is the 'smart layers' option. It lets you 'flatten' a set of layers and then it functions as a single layer which you can apply all the non-destructive filters to, but you can open it up and re-edit the bits. When it displays as a single layer though, it displays the 'flattened' version and saves tonnes of memory. Saved my butt a number of times, as I have recently been working on a lot of poster-sizes D&D maps at 300DPI on my crummy laptop.

Oh, as a side note, when you get up past 2GB file size, you can save as .psb format, which is the photoshop 'large document format.' It won't let you save files bigger than 2GB as a PDS, but PSB works the same without the size limit.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 12-16-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast