Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [CC3/DD3] Making Dungeon Maps in the Style of Ruins of Undermountain I and II

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really like the way that you're approaching this project. A lesson to us all on organised planning!

(A quality I'm sadly lacking in!)

Ravs
    LOL - I have to admit it's a new thing for me, trying to get into good habits .
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

STARTING MY MAP PART II

Before I start drawing my map, I need to prep my CC3 canvas by changing a few settings around.

Grid
    This map will have a 1 square = 10' scale, so I've right clicked on the Grid button and selected the 10' Grid, 2 Snap grid system. This is the grid tool for being able to snap to exact points when drawing within CC3 when Snap is selected, not the actual gray square grid overlay I will create later as part of the actual map.

Sheets
    I need to change the order of some of the sheets, specifically the GRID sheet. I clicked on the Sheet selector to get the Drawing Sheets dialog box, selected the GRID sheet, and clicked Move Up until GRID was sitting right below the FLOORS sheet on the list. I've done this because I want the grid when it is drawn (on the GRID sheet) to sit on top of the colored floors of the dungeon (on the FLOORS sheet), but have symbols and walls to sit on top of the grid (on the SYMBOLS and WALLS sheets) and essentially not have the square grid obscure them. Here's an abreviated sheet list to show what's happening:

The original sheet list order...

BACKGROUND (the "bottom" layer listed on top because it is drawn by CC3 first)
    FLOORS
    SYMBOLS
    WALLS
    TEXT
    GRID
    MAP BORDER (the "top" layer listed on the bottom because it is drawn by CC3 last)

becomes...

BACKGROUND
    FLOORS
    GRID
    SYMBOLS
    WALLS
    TEXT
    MAP BORDER

As you see I had to Move Up the GRID sheet on the list so that the map grid drawn on it would be drawn earlier than anything sitting on the SYMBOLS, WALLS AND TEXT sheets and thus any symbols, walls and text would appear to sit on top of the map grid (the grid isn't drawn over those things and doesn't obstruct them from view).

I'm hoping this WIP is morphing into something that is part tutorial as well.

NEXT UP: The Dungeon Floor
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Post BIP Undermountain Project.....

*casts resurrect on the thread*

Jaerdaph, I don't know if this project has fallen by the wayside or if you are still working on it, but you may want to swap mapping tips and notes with Halaster Blackcloak of the Back in Print Project. He's been working on completing Undermountain with maps of level 7-9 (which TSR never released). He's been at it for awhile, but he recently put up pictures of level 7. Take a look at the results at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/vi...r=asc&start=30 (Scroll down the page for the photos.)

Incredible, the map for level 7 looks like it was a printed product straight out of TSR itself! (Its amazing what Photoshop can do). He says that the maps for levels 8 and 9 are going to be double sized, meaning they will be twice as big as a normal, regular Undermountain level!

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    *casts resurrect on the thread*

Jaerdaph, I don't know if this project has fallen by the wayside or if you are still working on it, but you may want to swap mapping tips and notes with Halaster Blackcloak of the Back in Print Project. He's been working on completing Undermountain with maps of level 7-9 (which TSR never released). He's been at it for awhile, but he recently put up pictures of level 7. Take a look at the results at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/vi...r=asc&start=30 (Scroll down the page for the photos.)

Incredible, the map for level 7 looks like it was a printed product straight out of TSR itself! (Its amazing what Photoshop can do). He says that the maps for levels 8 and 9 are going to be double sized, meaning they will be twice as big as a normal, regular Undermountain level!
    Actually the map was created in Illustrator

I just joined the CG and will post the map here as well. Now I need to go and introduce myself.....

I *shall* return to this thread, if my job will let me have a personal life again...
    jaerdaph

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    I *shall* return to this thread, if my job will let me have a personal life again...
    Was wondering where you went.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

This is a nice idea that you got going.

I did this map, which is still a WIP based on Undermountain Level 2 as per the orignal box set.

I'm currently also working on Level 1 and also on the lost level map to do them in the same style

I didn't used the orginal mapping style and symbols as I didn't need any copyright issues or anything.

If you want this map, in .fcw format just send me message
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Ruins of Undermountain - Level 2.JPG 
Views:	4043 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	9610  

Wow, Mongoose, that's really impressive! I'd love a copy of the FCW - I'll PM you with my email address. Thanks! Have some rep.
    jaerdaph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12