Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: September-October Challenge: Favorite Sites of "Nasties" in NY Moviedom

Rythal: Yup, I am Legend is in NYC. The problem with it is that there is no specific building damage or location "worthy" of note although I'm sure locations could be identified there isn't really anything to depict.
    My current thoughts on the Title/Theme of the map is probably going to be something like "Manhatten Movie Monster Mayhem" and will be limited to the perspective of buildings/edifices that have suffered or been intrinsic to some monster's or alien's "attentions". This rather rules out "I am Legend" and also probably "Mimic" suggested earlier since they are too general in nature. I have the movie so I'll watch it just to check. Thanks for thinking about this though!

In the meantime, here's my view on King Kong (with a reference to the Daleks thing too). The Aliens from "Indepedence Day" will also feature but that image will be seperate (for now) so that I can jigger the position on the final map so that it doesn't obscure the poor old "Giant Mantis" in the tunnel behind...

Empire State Build vs King Kong, Daleks (and the USAF?).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire state4.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	29821
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

That's awesome! Have some rep.

The less location-specific stuff could be used to fill in semi-random streets in otherwise "boring" areas if you find sections lacking sufficient "landmark" monster victims.

WOW, Those drawings are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished map. And I don't think that the Daleks are going to use Empire State Building any time soon
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    That's awesome! Have some rep.

The less location-specific stuff could be used to fill in semi-random streets in otherwise "boring" areas if you find sections lacking sufficient "landmark" monster victims.
    Yeah, you could have an 'I Am Legend' zompire or three peeking out from behind buildings, a Mimic bug and a Mulberry rat peeking out of storm drains or something. Are you planning to have a key noting what each monster is? That'd help with the more obscure/less-identifiable-with-major-landmarks ones.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it would have been US Army Air Force, IIRC the current Air Force didn't come into existence until after WWII
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ah, yes, USAAF. You're most likely right General - I was going to avoid the issue by not particularly mentioning them in the text!

The idea is currently to have the text descriptions mixed in with the images much as the sketch at the start of this thread. It helps to fill in the gaps - either that and/or around the sides. The final version will have to be laid out once all the cartoony stuff is done. Mulberry street will probably feature since it does at least have a focal area and yes, Mimic and Legend zomboids will probably get a mention or something - I'm holding them in reserve in a way.
    Anyway, a few more to add to the pile

The Independence Day Aliens - to be positioned over the Empire State when I sort out the layout

Name:	empire state alien1.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	29823

The Woolworth Building - a bit of collateral damage in Cloverfield

Name:	woolworth1a.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	29824

and
    Madison Square Garden - Godzilla's little nest filled with those velociraptor look-alikes

Name:	madison sq gdns2.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	600.5 KB 
ID:	29825

These are all basically "tidied up" versions of the sketches included in the first post.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

Blog Entries

The two hapless rogues from Home Alone would be good for a chuckle. I'm loving this.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I'm afraid the Home Alone guys don't really qualify as monsters or aliens. The kid in it is probably borderline.

More stuff

The Chrysler Building vs, let's see, the US Army missing Godzilla (again), and "Q, the Winged Serpent"
    (who had her nest there)

Name:	chrysler4.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	29843

55, Central Park West vs Mr Staypuft

Name:	staypuft.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	29842

The Time Warner Building - another piece of collateral in Cloverfield

Name:	timewarner1.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	29841
    --

My Finished Stuff

Blog Entries

Where's the stilt-monster from Cloverfield?
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

You're right, I guess. In the back of my mind I was working from the principle that we don't see what Mr Cloverfield actually does to the building, only the result. That being the case I was going to leave him out of the scene, but it's very dull without and who's to say a little bit of imagination isn't what really happened? I'll get onto it! Thanks.
    Last edited by Crayons; 10-02-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: grammar
    --

My Finished Stuff

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast