Thread: Digital Cartography?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Buzzwulf,
    Looks like you're my northern neighbor. Welcome to the Guild!

My first tip would be to check out the Tutorials/How-to sub-forum and follow some of the ones that catch your eye. What sort of maps are you interested in? World, regional, city, battlemaps? There are tutorials for most around here somewhere...and the tips in them are often useable for lots of things besides the map type covered. If you've just bought Photoshop CS5 and don't have any experience with it then you'll definitely want to follow some of them to quickly get into using it...looking at a blank canvas is daunting. May I recommend you give Ascension's atlas-style tutorial a go? It's good one...though there are many, many excellent ones.
    M

edit: ninja'd

Guild Applicant

That's wonderful advice! Thanks, guys!

I've been messing around with Tear's Saderan tutorial for a couple hours now, but I'm pretty much doing just that: messing around. I'll definitely take a look at the tutorials you've suggested, and hopefully I can make a little better start there. I'll make sure to start up a work in progress thread, even if everything is pretty much irredeemable.

And to answer your question, mearrin, I'm mostly interested in atlas and region maps. I wouldn't mind knowing how to do a city map, but it's not the top on my list of priorities.