Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: World Map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That's gorgeous! My only issue is that the mountains don't seem to match ... more stylized mountains may work better.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You nailed the colors, man...nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    That's gorgeous! My only issue is that the mountains don't seem to match ... more stylized mountains may work better.
    Do you mean the mountains in the scene or the mountains on the map and would you elaborate on what you mean by stylized? thanks in advance
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stunning !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Beautiful. I LOVE that scene, especially the faux-woodcut/crosshatch thing you've got going on there.

I really like your style. Do you still do your projection stuff by hand, or do you use a program? And what is the scale of this world, if it's the same size as Earth, every country depicted there is bigger than Europe.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Interesting technique for the crosshatch shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    I really like your style. Do you still do your projection stuff by hand, or do you use a program? And what is the scale of this world, if it's the same size as Earth, every country depicted there is bigger than Europe.
    Yes, all the projection lines were done in photoshop. I made horizontal and vertical lines and then used the arc function to get them at the proper curve. The size is nowhere near that of earth. Its probably more like the size of Asia.

As for the crosshatching, i'm still trying to perfect it.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
    Yes, all the projection lines were done in photoshop. I made horizontal and vertical lines and then used the arc function to get them at the proper curve. The size is nowhere near that of earth. Its probably more like the size of Asia.

My suggestion for projection maths is to embrace cartographic programs that convert from one projection to another. As long as you have a base-map in a common computer-friendly projection (== equirectangular) you can then use that base-map as the ingredient of a projection transformation that can give you dozens of different maps in interesting projections. Read up on cartography on Wikipedia, this stuff can honestly be quite interesting!

Wow. Really impressive !

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast