Thread: Where would you start in re-making this map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'd say the main exercise here is to get your main landmass selected out of the original as a single-colored, hard-edged blob on a new layer. The other layers would seem less important except as guides on where to place your mountains and such...but you surely want to keep them around at least for a while. So:

In Photoshop there is a command (Select -> Color Range) that lets you select areas of your image by color. I would use this to select each area of color in turn and then fill that area in a new, blank layer. Then I'd go back in and fill any holes, filling any areas covered by "higher" terrain - e.g. so that green took up the entire area of the landmass. The result would be a stack of layers with a solid fill for each color in the map. This would serve as my base layer as I built up the new map, the main piece of this being the green layer that contained the entirety of my coastline.

I'm not sure if Gimp has this feature but I imagine it does. If not you can certainly use the "magic wand" tool and make multiple selections of each non-connected area of each color and do the same thing...it'll just take a bit longer.

Hope it helps.
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post

In Photoshop there is a command (Select -> Color Range) that lets you select areas of your image by color. I would use this to select each area of color in turn and then fill that area in a new, blank layer. Then I'd go back in and fill any holes, filling any areas covered by "higher" terrain - e.g. so that green took up the entire area of the landmass. The result would be a stack of layers with a solid fill for each color in the map. This would serve as my base layer as I built up the new map, the main piece of this being the green layer that contained the entirety of my coastline.

I'm not sure if Gimp has this feature but I imagine it does. If not you can certainly use the "magic wand" tool and make multiple selections of each non-connected area of each color and do the same thing...it'll just take a bit longer.

Hope it helps.
    M
    As a matter fact there is a similar tool in GIMP under the magic wand tool options
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.