Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wayfairen's Passage

Default Fun with words

Ok, I see what you mean, they are like too bold or muddy compared to the rest. I've fiddled around with them now for a long bit of time. I haven't done enough labels to get the full knack yet but hopefully I'm getting something out of this.

I ended up finally just tossing most of the outerglow and dropping down the opacity. I did play around with colors for a while but wasn't really happy with the results. So here is the latest WIP with the land names de-powered just a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WayfairensPassage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	29673  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

perfect ... now all the colors match
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Whew!

I was startin' to sweat

All these little things really do help a map out and sometimes less is more.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its all in the details
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If it were me I'd dump the bevel and just lower the opacity of the text to be a smokey brown. Text doesn't have to jump out at you and say "hey, notice me"...it can be subtle, especially when it's large or covers a large area. Like you say, less is more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for holding my feet to the fire. I really didn't want to port it back and forth to Inkscape again because somehow I merged the bevel layer onto the words :-/ . I'll try that when I get home this evening.

So, that turned out to not be such a big deal after all. Now that I've done it a few times I'm starting to like Inkscape more. I think I will see what other things I do with it soon.

Anyway, here is a better, imo, labeling of the landmasses. I did put a slight outline around them because they looked too spindly without when compared to the other labels. I am willing to nit pick this thing because I am happy with how the map is looking at want it to be as good as I can get it before I submit it to the finished area. I think the texts have the same faded look now but I'm still developing my eye for that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WayfairensPassage.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	29693  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123