Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September-October 2010 Challenge: Roots of Hip Hop

Awesome! This one's getting in for sure.
    M

This has evolved from something not good enough to get my vote to something that probably will. Love the bricks, colour scheme, font.. everything really And the fact that this actually got a bit accuracy and history to it only makes it better
    Last edited by Marken4; 10-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Oh, C'mon... You have to mention Run-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Wu Tang Clan and The Beastie Boys somewhere.

The venues are great to mention but it's the neighborhoods of the artists that are the most important.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

thanks all. I've been getting a lot of flack for the (comic style) look of the map so I'm switching it up. My wife said it looked like the play bill to a comedy show. Wha Wha What !! So I'm moving darker.

As far as rappers - I'm going to have a subway car or 2 along the bottom right with names spraypainted on it.

Color scheme I'm moving towards...

Are you changing this again? x) I think the last update and the brick wall looked awesome! This colour palette is indeed cool too tho..

Hrm. I'm a bit old to know the basics of hip hop, but is it a "dark" art form? To try and get a "handle" on it I did an image search in google for "hip hop grafitti" and what surfaced looked - in general - extremely colourful and bright and, yes, comic-booky!
    I thought the brickwork was a great idea, perhaps the text was the problem? Too regular? I thought it looked fine, but on reflection, perhaps it needs to look more "hand done" - sprayed?
    I think your basic instincts here are right! The sombre colours make it look more like a historical artifact than a living document?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

The comic book style was pretty cool. Who, apart from your wife has been giving you flack? If you do change direction, please don't go too far. Hip-hop videos in the early days often han a cartoony, over the top feel. They often used parody and comic expression as well as showing the gritty streets and hangouts and exposing social inequalities. You could have elements of the dark and light side.

And I like your idea of spraying the artists names on trains.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 10-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I thought the graphic novel/comic book style very appropriate. But it's ultimately your choice to change it.

Maybe do both styles... *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    T Who, apart from your wife has been giving you flack?
    I've asked for feedback in a few other forums as well, some graphic artists. Some like it & some don't. I have moments of both.

I swear I'm going to finish this map soon.... And I'll probably not post again until I'm done. Seem's whenever I ask for feedback, it normally steers me off course. But it's appreciated nonetheless.

As I said, I think your instincts are good. Feedback is good if it takes you somewhere you agree is right, otherwise, well, just ignore it!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast