Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Onaviu: A Double First (First World Map and First Map with Tablet)

Looks interesting. Impressive attention to detail with your stats and measurements.

I guess you have a reason for the abrupt and straight forest edges.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    I guess you have a reason for the abrupt and straight forest edges.
    Actually, no reason other than I am still playing around with Pasis's tutorial style. Thus, the reason it is so long between posts showing my progress. I spend more time playing around than actually doing some work.

Previously, I have just always hand drawn my world maps using poster sized paper on a drafting table. Those projects were paid commissions and I no longer possess them. This project is also some of the first computer based mapping I have done outside of work since I abandoned my Udava project. The maps I created for Udava were done back in a time covering 1988 to 1996. Working on maps in those days was (to me anyway) more difficult and time-consuming than doing them by hand. I gave up on computer map drawing for about 10 years until I got into GIS software. Now I am trying to get back into computer based map drawing. I'm going to keep playing around with the different styles I have learned here. Otherwise, I use ESRI's ArcMap, ArcView, ArcInfo, et. al. and Quantum GIS.

My previous project, Urtopis, was done using ArcMap initially before using Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and GIMP to finish it. The only problem I see with using a color shaded relief map is that putting forests, grasslands, etc. would cover up the relief terrain. Thus, I abandoned that style and looked for others.

Of course, I ended up breaking my left hand (primary drawing hand) when I fell off a ladder weekend before last (02 Oct).

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Was rereading my second post here and realized I copied the wrong data text file. Here is the information from the full edition one not included that post.

Equatorial Radius: 8186795.243 meters
    Polar Radius: 8172501.505 meters
    Ellipticity: 0.00174595034756996670
    Inverse Flattening Ratio: 572.753974012955883199

Sorry about that.

rmfr

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Well, been gone awhile. Broken hand has healed, but still need to exercise it. Work has also gotten bogged down. Here is an update for Onaviu.

Still thinking about the results, but getting better. Now if I could get my hand back in shape, I could draw for longer.

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnaviuPasisRight017.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	30335  

With hand almost totally healed, been exercising it with some work on Onaviu. Gotten to point of finishing some of the labeling. Also haven't decided where to put any lakes yet, but still thinking. Wish work would slack up some so I can work more on this. But I'd rather have the work than none.

Most of this section of the map won't be labeled in the beginning due to players not knowing much more than the Hatharnd Empire. Also need to start working on the main city maps for Neiliri, Dirigpahar, and Tanlindon. Cartographer's work is never finished. Furthermore, the border for the Hatharnd Empire is not finalized, just a working border.

Thanks for having such a great site for someone who is finally trying his hand at making maps on a computer after a 20 year hiatus.

rmfr

Name:	OnaviuPasisLeft040.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	30495  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, the only thing that strikes me as being 'off' is the sudden transitions between terrain types.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with SG and would also like to add that the rivers could use a little work - they are all the same width, normallly they would be thin to begin with and get thicker as they join up, a tapering at their beginning would also be nice
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I am impressed with you maps and the local populations' ability to measure the planet to one milimeter precision..

Default Mostly Finished Map of Onaviu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I like it, the only thing that strikes me as being 'off' is the sudden transitions between terrain types.
    Yeah, that was a problem and a trade off. The only way I found that I could smooth the transitions was to squash everything down to one layer. I did not want to that. I wanted to be able to turn off one terrain type while leaving the others if necessary. Thus, i had to trade smoothness for that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    I'm with SG and would also like to add that the rivers could use a little work - they are all the same width, normallly they would be thin to begin with and get thicker as they join up, a tapering at their beginning would also be nice
    I looked over all the tuts on tapering. Just ain't spent the time to practice or to utilize them. I am going to end up leaving the rivers as is. Besides, I was actually working for "best track" of the rivers since each pixel is slightly more than 7 kilometers. Since I was using a 3 pixel brush, that makes the rivers about 21.5 kilometers wide anyway. Even here on Earth I don't think the mouth of Amazon gets that wide (but it might get wider, will have to look it up).

Quote Originally Posted by cfds View Post
    I am impressed with you maps and the local populations' ability to measure the planet to one milimeter precision..
    LOL. Yeah, that is impressive. However, when you use the force...

Actually, those are my calculations. Since there may be the possibility of some science fiction role-playing on this world, I figured I'd get these calculations done before any ask for them.

Well, I am wanting to move on to other mapping projects for this world. Just sat down for the last three hours and did a "quick" finish-up on this map. However, despite JPEG compression, the file still ended up being over 6MB. Thus I put it up on photobucket.

I know the polar ice caps are a way too jaggy, but I was just too lazy to smooth them out. Sorry.

Thanks for all the support and again, thanks for such a wonderful site.

rmfr
    Last edited by arakish; 11-05-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something and had to fix picture and link

Spit out these globe images about 20 minutes ago. Could use more time to make them better...

rmfr

Name:	OnaviuGlobeHavranClouds.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	30735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnaviuGlobeSimerjia.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	30736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnaviuGlobeKomvray.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	30737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OnaviuGlobeHavran.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	30738  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12