Thread: How to import a greyscale height map into Fractal Terrains?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Took a quick look at the image.

The first thing you'll probably want to do is set it up to a true equirectangular ratio (i.e. 1024 by 512)

Then you can open it in Wilbur. You'll probably have to play with some selections and scaling to get your land and sea elevations where you want them.

From there, Save As>>MDR Surface (don't change any of the save settings in the dialogue that pops up)

When you go to open it in FTPro, you'll want to use the New World>>Binary World option. Set the file type to All Files and then select your saved MDR file. Again, it's best not to change any of the settings in the dialogue that pops up as Wilbur will have saved the MDR file with all the header information you'll need. The only thing to be wary of is that your world might be flipped, which is easy enough to solve.

I've done this a few times myself. The only drawback that I've found is that editing the world in FTPro after this process can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully Waldronate will correct me if I'm wrong, here, but Wilbur does not pass a roughness channel through to FTPro, so when you go to edit, the results will be fairly smooth.

I would personally recommend that you use a larger version of the image, if you can. I've gone as high as 8192 by 4096 for the sake of detail in FTPro, but it's all dependent on your desire for the map.

Waldronate does have a tutorial dealing specifically with transfering MDR files between FTPro and Wilbur, and you might find it very helpful in this instance.

http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/Th...ain/index.html

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 10-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges