Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
But Crayons you can specify as many roads as you want. But if you want to clean up, you can can erase the ones which don't fit.

I'm still in early days trying to get something decent out of this, but I have high hopes. As Mearrin said, some good layouts with minimal effort.

The thing with editing road layouts like it produces is that at some point, it's quicker to draw the roads from scratch. I guess if I was doing a proper, well thought out city that is what I'd do, but for something that's needed quickly and which gives OK results, the generator used in the right way is hard to beat.
Yup. I found that it was better to have too many and delete extras than to have the right amount but not connected rationally! It's easier to delete the stupid ones. Mind you I wasn't producing output as a map. I cleaned up the whole thing to just make a node map, tagged all the junctions and then used it as a height field to import all the junction coordinates into POVray. Then it was the nightmare of trying to trace all the connections between my nodes. I kinda got close but couldn't really avoid the obvious conclusion that it sucked as a methodology!! It is quicker to start fom scatch manually if you want a realistic layout. As you say, for a quick and simple map, it's great. I'd love to have the source and be able to fiddle with it, but my skills don't go that way. Unless it was written in Basic or something nice and old like Algol !
Mind you, the tracing design in POV was fun while it lasted!
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bf 1noderoad3.png 
Views:	277 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	30236
This was about as far as I got in POV.