Thread: Despair

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Also don't stress over not being able to follow the tutorial. I had the same problem when I was new to Gimp (I felt like I really sucked for not being able to follow it). It was my first venture into digital art so it's little wonder I had a lot to learn. After banging around in Gimp for the last several months I think I could follow a tutorial. I really should go do some of them because I'm sure I'd pick up a few tricks I could add to my collection. Just don't give up. One of the things that helped me when I was bumming about not being able to create what I wanted via software was that I would do a hand sketch, scan that in, and then manipulate it within Gimp (coloring, texturing, etc). If you can't draw that might not work for you but there are still a lot of nice random ways to get terrain.

For now look at every map you do with the goal of learning how one or two things really work. Try to understand them. Eventually you will be able to use all the things you learn to create exactly what you envision. (Or at least pretty close).

Don't give up!

Oh and if you want to see my first image compared to my last (The map is my last completed one and the smeary dragon was my first image):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WayfairensPassage.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	30262  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-19-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt