Thanks for the encouragement, guys. As I said, I'm posting this in tiny steps as I walk through this process, rather than putting up something nearly done right off. I hope it doesn't get too tedious, but it's already been helpful to me, since I'm thinking through next steps as I post the current one.

This morning I married all the elements together and did something that a real-world cartographer never gets to do: I moved some of the continents around so that they wouldn't be sliced by the projection I'm using.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDMM_step05_11x17.png 
Views:	511 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	30463

As you can see, I was not entirely successful. In fact, I've had to cut one continent (Efan, for those keeping score) pretty much in half. Since this is one of the continents the players have already discovered, there wasn't much I could do to move it.

I also distorted some of the landmasses near the poles to give the illusion of conforming to the projection I'm using. Since this will (hopefully) be a 16th-century style map by the time I'm done, I'm not exactly shooting for 100% accuracy here. The players obtain regional maps as they explore, and this chart is mostly to show how they all go together.

Here's one of the regional maps to give you an idea of scale:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat_map_c3.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	30464

This is centered on the star-shaped lake on the south-westernmost continent (Sahûl).

My next step will be to walk through jezelf's tutorial on making fantasy/parchment maps.