The original game was kinda goofy...but that was part of the fun. No rolling mutations, though. I have the original book, the "cyber-badger" edition, the Alternity edition, and the D20 edition. All of them rock in their own way. Have to say, however, that I'm little tempted by the 4E version. I have nostalgia for the older stuff but I guess the Alternity version is probably my favorite. It was a very good rules system and it came bundled all in one book.

I didn't dig 4E all that much for D&D...not so much for the way it played as that I saw where it was going: endless books and an expansion into "collectible" territory with power cards and so forth. I spent quite enough on 3E books (which fill a rather large shelf in my office) and minis (which fill four large storage containers).

That said, if it does turn out to be a stand-alone product I'd pick it up just out of curiosity. The things I've heard about it make me thing it won't be though. I don't want to bag too much on WotC but they are masters of the "gotta catch 'em all" vibe and, then, when you take that bait, they drop the product mid-way through (witness D20 Modern, Saga, etc. etc.) its useful lifespan.

I'd probably buy Gamma World "Dungeon Tiles" if they had them though. And minis...I'd buy minis! But, for rules, I'll probably stick with Alternity.
M