Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non-map art

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow to both the archer and Lust ... really beautiful both of them.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Smokey Joe Junior... yeah it is based on an anime character so I didn't want to go too realistic with it. I wanted to simplify the shading somewhat to keep it in the spirit of the original. That being said, I uploaded a newer version to my DA page with more shading and fixes some of the problems with that image and adds a more dramatic lighting/palette to it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Thanks guys.

Smokey Joe Junior... yeah it is based on an anime character so I didn't want to go too realistic with it. I wanted to simplify the shading somewhat to keep it in the spirit of the original. That being said, I uploaded a newer version to my DA page with more shading and fixes some of the problems with that image and adds a more dramatic lighting/palette to it.
    Cool.. going to check it out... I don't mind the original, it's quite great(much better than I could do), it's that flash of red that really gives the "pop" and noir feel to it.... great job! Oh.. BTW, you NAILED the archer's red hair perfectly... again, great job....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Ok, this should be the last one for a while as I need to get back and work on some maps. Zzz.... I'm having too much fun with the painting atm.

Anyhoo... Arwen...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arwen_background.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	37018
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

That is just superb!!!!! Back to mapping... perhaps some more ISO mapping elements? Ruins, more towns, etc....(just saying...)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The detail work and color blending on Liv Tyler's face are fantastic! In fact, the overall color scheme of the piece (especially the golden quality of the light) is quite attractive. I noticed though that it seems as if only Liv's face seems to be in clear focus. Perhaps this is intentional, a compositional choice to help focus the eye on salient features of the foreground. However I think adding a bit more clear detail work to Liv's ornate collar and her hair (particularly those strands of hair closest to her face) would still be nice. My 2c.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Holy moley!!!! That's just fantastic!

P.S. I remember that when you joined the guild you said you were a writer. So while you've been here, you've produced some of the best maps the Guild can boast, and then you wrote an incredibly useful software application for us, now you're producing works of art that are stunning.

...I really want to read one of your books!!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot guys.

Arsheesh: You make a good point. The intention was to make her face the most detailed part of the image and thus help draw focus. I was, however, slightly dissatisfied with how she was integrated into the image. She stood out a little too much to actually seem like she is there. I lowered the opacity on her by ten percent which helped, bringing some of the texture of the paper through. I shadowed her left side more which again helped a little. And that brought me to the image you've seen. But your comment has just brought me to the answer: she IS too sharp compared to everything else. So I just selected her face and gblurred it 0.6 px... looks much better now to me. So thanks a lot for that.

Ravs: That must be the best compliment anyone has ever given me. Unfortunately with the writing I seem to have tidal changes of enthusiasm. It's been a long, long time since I wrote anything. Hopefully one day soon I'll have a corking idea, need to get it down and that will spark my imagination in that direction for a while.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Ravi - your work here is fantastic, so if you ever get to write that book brewing inside you, I wanna read it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Great work, Ramah!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast