Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interested in Historic maps

Guild Applicant

Default Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Welcome, Ollie!

How 'historical' a look are you going for?
    Cheers. I do actually mean fairly recent history, like 20th Century. I'm actually trying to get a sort of "schoolbook" type feel to the map, and having looked around here, I now see that this is an area lots of people have tried to reproduce, with some really fantastic results. While I'm enjoying handdrawing, it does look like the best works are done digitally, albeit with a tablet. I guess I will have to get a tablet at some point, but not yet?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Hi ollie - I'm also an avid classic map lover. I do not play role-playing games, or really am into the fantasy side of mapping. I make board-game maps for the Risk-like site MajorCommand.com. Check out my signature for some of my maps. I also used to map for conquerclub, as was mentioned earlier. If it's similar to the direction you want to go - i can answer questions, or guide you to some tutorials you may like. But yes, at first glance, this site does seem like an off-shoot of the D&D community, but it's much more. I don't see much about GIS and DEM or the "technical" side of accurate maps. I can't help you there - as all i use for reference is basically google/bing maps.

(edit)
    Here's one I'm not totally finished with yet - but I think it has a nice classic feel to it.

Last edited by RjBeals; 11-08-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: attachement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12