Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rite Publishing, Kaidan Patronage Project. 1st adventure release in Feb/Mar 2011

Default In the copmany of Kappa - Cover Design

As a related product to Kaidan, we will be releasing some Race and Class books (PDFs).

The first Race book will be In the Company of Kappa, which will feature racial stats, a paragon class, kappa archetypes, and recommended APG archetypes, along with an origin mythos. Since the primary kappa art I have is pencil work by Mark Hyzer, Steve Russell of Rite Publishing suggested I create a B/W cover design. So I wanted to give it a distinct Japanese look. I found me some swatches of origami paper designs and used it as filler art.

Plus this is the first time I get to use my logo design - of course altered to B/W.

What do you think of how I did?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	company-of-kappa-cover.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	33311
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The pure black & white flatness of the central box is at an odd contrast to both the mesh of texture that surrounds it and the drawing it envelopes. Adding some subtle paper texturing and making the edges of the box less sharp & straight could improve the appearance, I think.

Got a color version, now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	company-of-kappa-cover-color.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	33324
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think the color version brings the Kappa image to the fore. In the BW version it seemed lost some how. I also noticed in the BW that the RiP logo was VERY hard to read. I did like what the BW version of your logo looks like though.

I am glad to see this all coming to fruition
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I like the color version much better

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Color version for the win!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I find the green flowers and linoleum background irrelevant and distracting when combined with a pencil drawing. I'd either simplify or remove them. Of the two, I'd prefer the B&W one without the embellishments and maybe a color title and logo. Shrug. My two cents, not meant to be mean or anything, just honest.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Don't worry about being 'mean', I don't think that. Anything I post maps or otherwise, I expect honest critiques - and I listen.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

I'm with the b&w version too. ... there's nothing in it which screams 'Japanese' to me (maybe you want it understated). Maybe use a more japanese looking flower motif? I found a really cool free for commercial ps pattern which may do it (attached). You can find it here: http://www.brusheezy.com/Patterns/17...pring-blossoms

Weird....my 'add images' option has disappeared.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm with Asc and Ravs on this one, GP, although I don't think you'd need to go *fully* black and white. But I'd monochrome it. Black and white with a touch of red like the logo, will keep the branding consistent.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast