• Larb - New Amsterdam

17 42.50%
  • Lumisade - New York Of Hope

11 27.50%
  • Moutarde - 21st Century Manhattan, 19th Century Style

6 15.00%
  • Mrmox42 - Goblins in the Statue of Liberty

10 25.00%
  • popup - Visit Beautiful New Amsterdam!

6 15.00%
  • Ravells - South Manhattan in Anagrams

9 22.50%
  • RecklessEnthusiasm - USS New York

5 12.50%
  • RjBeals - Roots of Hip Hop

30 75.00%
  • Sapiento - Post Apocalyptic NY

3 7.50%
  • Sapiento - Carte de Nouvelle Reims (ancien New York)

10 25.00%
  • Tilt - Sector 234-B [New York]

8 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** September-October Super Challenge VOTING: Mapping the Big Apple ***

My votes are going to, in alphabetical order:

Crayons - Your monster map is absolutely one of my favorite concepts here, just a really appealing idea. While it is pretty 'rough around the edges' in presentation (intentional no doubt!) I can easily see the detail and craftsmanship you put in. Truly wonderful.
    Djekspek - Your New York Makeover is just beautiful and, to me, looks like one of the tops in term of artistic tallent demonstrated. It has a great vibe, a clean presentation, and I think it will catch a lot of eyes in the gallery.
    Industrial Helix - Absolutely the most aesthetically beautiful map here. The techniques and colors used are just gorgeous. While I tend to get behind maps with 'ideas' to them, the crisp, clean presentation makes this one of my favorites.
    Larb - The thumbnail really didn't do this one justice, and I'm glad I opened it up to see the full version--while most people (me especially) depend on fancy-pants textures, there is a lot to be said for this kind of solid, smooth presentation. The overall profiles are great, the crispness of the lines really does it for me. It was the docks and the ships in particular that won me over and earned the vote.
    Lumisade - This, Djekspek's map, and Industrial Helix's maps all seem to call out to me as the most 'artistic,' the ones with the most skill behind them. Really a beautiful idea and wonderfully executed. It would make a wonderful posted, and I'll bet this is one of the prints that will sell the most.
    RJBeals - amazing palette (everyone seems to agree on this point), a great concept, and perfect execution. When the second gallery showing comes around, I really hope we get more maps just like this one: informative, interesting, showing more about New York than just the geography, and just plain eye-catching.

Props to all, this kind of showing really reminds me how much talent there is floating around on this site. Bravo, guys.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 11-04-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Well done everyone. That was another tough call and if the vote was on different criteria then I would have chosen differently. I liked RJ's the best as it had a great NY centric theme and it was done so well with nice font and art. I also liked Ravs annagrams. I also went with Gallifreyan, Larb, Imms and I liked the wild art of Lumisade which incorporated the map. I think for a pure art and interesting thing to look at I also liked MrMox and Tilts & Crayons stuff was interesting too. There was nice lines and maps in the older style or fantasy and alternate reality but alas, there was only 6 votes...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lots of great entries, quite the conundrum to choose only six!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Argg... so hard to pick six. I like the NaNoWriMo concept of "if you finish, you win" :-). Those I like best mostly tell a story. In no preference order:
    Moutarde - the story you tell is that in 200 years Cartography's lost a lot ... just beautiful.
    Gallifreyan, RJBeals - your work drew me in, and I learned some history. I wish I'd gone ahead and used a lot of explanatory text.
    Cereth - fair to say I like old-school... only the slightly mechanical wave-lines keep me from looking for pen strokes and ink blots.
    Sapiento, Popup - delightful alternate history! Both make me want to see out beyond the neatline.

I tried to tell a story - alternate future instead of alternate history. I just haven't carried it off as well as y'all. So if we can rework / polish / complete for a later rerun opportunity, mayhap I can add a sheet covering those elevated pneumatic subways, even get the Aerial Atlas up above its current Nile Books rank of 645,377,210 :-).

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Damn! Seem's the mapping folk do like the old-school rap after all

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ok... that was way too few votes to pass out - lots of great entries and great ideas
    well, the votes of the Trelleborg Jury goes to:

Djespek, a beautiful little fort, always love your drawings
    Immolate for one fantastic map of Central Park - zombies or no zombies
    MrMox for his entertaining look on the statue of liberty
    RJBeals for a great map of hip hop - but with with such nice colors that non-B-boys can love it too
    Cereth for his great looking map
    Ravells for a really fun idea - and probably a good seller

and honorable mentions goes to Aval, loved the cyber look , Crayons for a Monster-good idea and RE also for a great idea ... wish I could have voted for you all
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

In random order and for completely deifferent reasons my votes went for:
    Gallifreyan's historical map because I really like history
    Cereth's atmospheric map
    Djekspek's New York Makeover, man you have talent
    Lumisade , really artistic
    RjBeals the best color palette I have seen in a map up to now and
    Immolate for his hard work.If I ever visit central park I will for sure print your map out.

Other maps that I really liked but didn't have enough votes for were both of Sapiento's, Ravells, Aval's, moutarde's and MrMox42.
    Congratulations to everyone.

Blog Entries

Many great maps and I could have easily voted for twice as many as I did. Props to RjBeals for a great concept and superb execution. I am proud to have been among the contestants and only wish I'd had it in me to finish my second piece. Thanks everyone for your hard work!

[edit: rude of me, but I didn't even mention the others I voted for. Been working hard all week and just finished an assignment for college and the wifey and I are about to settle down to a replay of the first episode of The Walking Dead on AMC. If you haven't watched it, WATCH IT!!! Second episode comes out Sunday night.]

It is my custom to give reputation to all who participate. Everyone put a lot into it and they deserve recognition for it. However, there are limits to what the site's software will permit, so I only got about halfway through before the rep fairy took her wand back. I'll be back tomorrow to hopefully finish the job.
    Last edited by Immolate; 11-06-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Blog Entries

Grats to RjBeals and Cereth! Woot! Way to go everyone and enjoy your special badge once we get 'em
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats RjBeals, Imm and Cereth - truly deserved
    Last edited by tilt; 11-08-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast