Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A mapping opportunity

Default A mapping opportunity

As many of you know, I am currently running a play-by-post game over at EN World based in the Witchlight Strand (area 25 of the CWBP). I started running this game for two reasons:

1. I hoped to be able to expand upon the Witchlight Strand and make it a more detailed area.

2. I hoped others would follow suit, and bring more detail to the entire CWBP project.

While reason #2 has yet to come to fruition, #1 has proven to be spot on. Case in point:

The PCs are currently in the village of Hania, located at the edge of the Liaglades on the Crescent River. The villagers are currently holed up in the local tavern waiting out the last remnants of an orcish horde, emboldened due to the recent activity of the Witchlight phenomena. The PCs have made their way into this tavern, and are currently speaking with Hania's de facto ruler, Deeson Voss, about making plans for a last-stand battle in hopes to rid Hania of the last of the orcs. Druthruss Deapseam and Vatan Redbeard (played by our own Redrobes and Korash, respectively), have asked Voss for a map of Hania in order to get a better feel of the village while they're laying out plans.

While I can certainly throw together a quick and dirty map of the village to give the adventurers, I thought that this would be the perfect time to invite someone else to contribute to the project. I believe that situations like this are what the CWBP is all about, and I would love to see someone else get their hands dirty with it!

To paraphrase:

NEEDED:
    A map of the village of Hania, in the Witchlight Strand

REQUIREMENTS:
    For continuity, the village must contain some sort of inn or tavern. There should also be some evidence of farmland, for reasons stated in the wiki writeup (link above). All else is left to the imagination of the artist.

Thanks,
    -IG
    Last edited by industrygothica; 10-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.

I'm somewhat disheartened that no one has taken this opportunity to get into the CWBP. I've seen a lot of posts from people that say they want to contribute but don't know where to start, and here I've put it out on a silver platter.

Hopefully this bump will inspire someone. Otherwise I suppose I'll start it when I get back from New Orleans in a couple of weeks.

-IG

Heya IG,
    I never saw the original post for some reason...been a little time pressured of late and only checking the boards on the surface. A small village sounds doable despite my time constraints, however. I'll put together something in the style I've been messing with lately by next week. I'll go school myself on what the area is like in the meantime.

And, to everyone else, don't take this as a "stay out" sort of thing. Do your own version. We'll let IG figure out which one he wants for Hania and put the others somewhere else. The CWBP needs lots of villages. It also needs me to finish my city I started ages ago.
    M

Edit: BTW, I'm going to assume you'd like the town to be partially ruined and being rebuilt, as the entry notes? Or is this set in another timeframe? From your story above it sounds like this might be pre-slaughter.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-14-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Before, during, or after the invasion. Doesn't matter to me really, so whatever makes you happy. Any one of them will go fine on the wiki page.

Thanks for tackling it...

-IG

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well since I like town mapping so much I'll try a version although with M involved it won't be a hard choice.. but as as was said it could be used for another village...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Hah. At least you'll probably finish yours. I've been bad about finishing things lately. Be interesting to compare our village designs when done. I'm seriously considering getting the basic layout from the random city map program thingie (forget the name of it right now but it's posted around here somewhere).
    M

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats probably a good idea I'm thinking I'm going to try pre-orcs only because I'm not sure if I'm up to "rubble"..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

If anyone is interested, the PCs are going to be heading to Hallowdale very soon. Hallowdale is more of a region than a town, with various barbarian tribes making their home in the area. With the current king on his deathbed, preparations are underway for the contests that will determine the new king.

Less important than the Hania map, it might still be a fun one to do. See the beginning of the game thread for a little more info (like the dying king's name... can't remember that for the life of me).

I think this might be a good way to get people involved. As a DM I get more creatively inspired creating stuff for a story in progress than for some generic thing that might or might not ever see use. If I make something and your players enjoy it it'll give me a small bit of happiness.

BTW, is that a river violation on the Crescent west of Hania? Can rivers split and reform?
    M

Edit: Posted a WiP thread here.
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Its not supposed to split and reform... its just looks like it. Its supposed to just be wider at that point. Did I mention that I needed to redo that map?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast