Self-promotion is important, agreed. I've only recently begun to "lightly" promote myself as a freelance cartographer. I know I'm not as good or as fast as many of the folks out there doing it but that's okay for now. I doubt it'll ever be my "day job" because, although I love it, I won't ever be able to make as much doing it as I do in my real career. I, like Tilt, would certainly consider making a little less to do something I love...but maybe not that much less.

I don't know about cartography but, after self-promotion, I'll wager that being successful in art is largely linked to being reliable. I think it was Woody Allen (whom I dislike greatly) that said something like eighty percent of success is just showing up. If my recent experience with trying to get art completed for my product is any gauge then I believe he was absolutely correct. I'vestarted working with a couple of folks and had money in hand to give them when they finished their bit...but they just evaporated on me. So, yeah, just friggin show up, finish, and get paid.

M